Composting Ivy

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting Ivy

This site: Can I compost Ivy? - Compost This says it's eventually ok to compost ivy as long as it's been left long enough not to re grow in the compost heap, but I was wandering if the composted ivy would be safe to use on the veg patch. Each year I do a major stripping back of the ivy at the front of the house and I've got a lot of it. Is it likely to sour the soil or leave a potentially poisonous residue for the veg to pick up? I've searched various sites and it's about 50/50 for and against.
    Decisions, decisions
    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Well,if you keep thinking about it then it means you have doubts.If you have doubts then it's not worth your thinking.It's up to you-I wouldn't use it in my compost personally for 1 simple reason-wherever ivy overtakes,there's hardly any other vegetation left.

Comment

I will only ever compost the fresh green ivy shoots with the confidence that it will rot down fully within a year. The older woodier bits get discarded for fear that it will survive the heap and take up residence when spread on the veg plot.

I've never been aware of a poisoning/souring issue with the stuff but if it is mixed well with other materials and left for long enough it should be ok.

Comment

The idea is to let it rot down by itself and when completely dead, add it to the other garden waste. I do this every year, but only use it on the flower beds. I don't like the idea of growing veg in potentially poisonous soil

Comment

It's never occurred to me that it might make the ground toxic in some way. Why/how would it do that?

HMK

Comment

Originally posted by hmk View Post
            It's never occurred to me that it might make the ground toxic in some way. Why/how would it do that?

HMK

Likewise.................

Comment

Poison Ivy? Maybe I'm just being over cautious.

Comment

Poison Ivy is a different plant to our English ivy (hedera) if that sets your mind at rest.

Poison ivy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HMK

Comment

Thanks HMK

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X