Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catch Crop

Hi,
    I grew some spinach between 'A' shaped cane support in an attempt to have a catch crop. I have harvested spinach once a week back and they r growing well. Can someone advise what I should do once the beans start growing taller and denser? Can the spinach still continue to grow or do I transplant them to another bed?
    cheers Reks

I wouldn't consider spinach really as a catch crop.
    For me it would have to be something that is in and out fairly quickly, radishes, beetroot, lettuce etc.
    It kind of defeats the purpose if you have to dig it up and move it to a new spot because you could have grown it there in the first place.
    If you leave it in place it will get more and more difficult to harvest, as well as nicking nutrients and water from your beans. Either that or it won't like being in the dark and will get weedy.

Comment

Hmm...Thanks indigox. Would it then make sense to transplant the plants to another spot as soon as possible. Don't want them to cause trouble to my beans. I took a neighbour's advice, maybe I should have investgated first
      cheers Reks

Comment

Yes, I'd recommend harvesting as much as you can off them first, just in case they don't take kindly to the move. Also plants fewer leaves will not need quite so much water so it should lessen the shock to them.
        Luckily they shoot up pretty quick, so you can always sow another batch of seeds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X