Preparing the ground

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preparing the ground

I just got my allotment one week ago and have started preparing the land. There are a lot of roots in there and have been trying to get them all out. I have noticed however that other people are not doing the same, or at least not getting as many as I out. I have taken about 4-6 bin bags full from an allotment of 10m by 10m. Is it right to take them all out?

I also plan to put down some seaweed, chicken dung and some general fertilizer after that. I plan to grow root vegetables ( potatoes, carrots, beetroot parsnips etc..) for an easy introduction and due to the climate where I am. Is that a good mix?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by griffindor View Post
    I have noticed however that other people are not doing the same, or at least not getting as many as I out.
    yes, you've got to get all the perennial roots out, or they'll just regrow (up amongst your crops).

Do a small patch properly, don't try and do the whole plot at once.
    Clear, plant it up, then do the next bit.

I have taken about 4-6 bin bags full .
    Don't waste them ... let them rot down in bags, then compost them.
    Or, rot them down in a barrel of water (quicker, but gets stinky).
    Last edited by SarzWix; 26-05-2009, 11:03 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks, good to know I'm not doing useless work. related to this; Is it correct to leave the roots of peas if I grow there the following year potatoes? I read that the roots from peas help them.

Comment

Yes you can leave roots of peas and beans in the ground as they have nitrogen in them...that is good for leaf veg.

Comment

I forgot to say that the winter here drops to -30 C, will this temperature stop all roots that are in the ground from growing next year?

Comment

I forgot to say that the winter here drops to -30 C, will this temperature stop all roots that are in the ground from growing next year?
            I don't know what the roots are, that are in your ground, or what your climate is like. But I daresay if you left them, they will regrow next year, yes.
            Ask your neighbours!

Comment

emm you mayneed to get some fleese then.
              My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I tried asking but they weren't too sure either. Most of us are new comers. I asked one old timer and he said it was worth doing but most people don't due to being lazy; but that it should not affect too much. Yet all the books and websites say otherwise. I'll think I'll stick with the books for now.

Comment

Do you know what the roots are?

Comment

Some are potatoes and others onions. I think this based on the fact I found some potatoes and onions in the ground.

Some don't seem too deep and they're very close together in a clump with some kind of bamboo coming out the top.

The rest, I have no idea, except they they're white and long and they seem to be in every part of the plot. I know from the neighbours that my plot was not used last year, so they could be weeds gone wild.

Comment

Some are potatoes and others onions. I think this based on the fact I found some potatoes and onions in the ground.

Some don't seem too deep and they're very close together in a clump with some kind of bamboo coming out the top.
                      could be. the bamboo is the dried out flower stalk of the onion plant.
                      They are dead easy to dig out.

The rest, I have no idea, except they they're white and long and they seem to be in every part of the plot. .
                      If they're straight - couch grass
                      If they're curly - bindweed.

either way, you need to dig out every last scrap, as every broken bit left in the ground will grow into a new plant.
                      Last edited by SarzWix; 26-05-2009, 11:02 AM.

Comment

I've been removing every scrap of root that I can and am still missing loads (just think how bad it could be!) but one of the other plot holders is simply turning over the top bit (would call it turf but that makes it sound nice), chucking on some compost and planting. His beds look dead good very quickly and then, about two weeks later look almost as bad as when he started. Mine are much slower to prepare but are much easier to keep on top of.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Griffindor i have been doing the same as you since taking on my plot. I put in a raised bed at a time and then dug it over and meticulously weeded out anything i found in that bed by hand. Left it a week and went back again and re dig incase i missed anything, i then covered the bed with black plastic and went onto the next one.
                          As the others have said you leave any roots in and they will pop up again next year so you are right to take the time, although it may seem time consuming now it will save you so much time in the long run.
                          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X