No announcement yet.

shade/windbreak netting for carrot fly?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shade/windbreak netting for carrot fly?

good evening folks, hope you've had a good day on the plot

i have been given some shade netting (it is actually from a scaffolders to prevent debris etc from falling but looks the same thing)

it's quite windy were we are so it will work well for that but i was thinking of using it for protecting crops against birds etc and for carrot fly

questions

1.will the shading properties effect the growth of plants?
    2. will it work for carrot fly or is the mesh too small

thanks
    above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Shouldn't affect growth of plants............is mesh small enough rather than too small??
    Don't you ahve to put up a little sort of fleece "fence" round the carrots to stop the carrot fly??
    "Happiness cannot come from without. It must come from within. It is not what we see and touch or that which others do for us which makes us happy; it is that which we think and feel and do, first for the other fellow and then for ourselves." Helen Keller

Comment

Best deterrent for carrot rootfly is Wondermesh or enviromesh, and a raised bed helps too, as well as using 'Resistafly' type carrots. Don;t move the mesh in daytime, especially during May.

Comment

Sorry Alan, Resistafly carrots are poop. (look in my photo album).

I use debris netting on everything now ... the carrots underneath it were really good, first time ever I had a decent crop. All brassicas go under it too, and this year so will my leeks cos they always get leek moth.

eBay ... 3m width is more useful than 2m width. Get lots of cheap tent pegs to hold it down (pay about 10p each).
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          .... Get lots of cheap tent pegs to hold it down (pay about 10p each).
          ...or if you don't have a handy camping shop, fleece/netting pegs from Wilko - 10 for 99p

Comment

just wondering if one can use long screws to hold the netting down, instead of tent pegs?
            cheers Reks

Comment

thanks two sheds and hazel

i shall unpack my tent and rob the pegs for now
              above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X