Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the easiest support system for climbing beans and peas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since we're on the subject, this is my first year growing peas. I was thinking of using old fishing nets between two stakes with a cord threaded on the top and bottom to the stakes.
    I'm sure this will do won't it?

Comment

I'd just use canes and maybe string. For the easiest method just bung the canes in vertically and thats it. The beans will still curl round and grow up the cane. Sure they're going to flap about a bit but thats ok.

If you have more time/effort make a basic x shape with two canes along the row. Place a third cane in the top V and tie round all the joints. This will make a much more sturdy structure.

Personally i wouldn't bother with netting of any kind.
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've done mine in exactly the same way as HeyWayne, took about 1 hour, enough for 30 peas if spaced at 5cm

Comment

That folding thing looks good, but I'm not sure if it would last many seasons? I had some willow trellis and it's fallen to bits Poor clematis and jasmine are both flopping all over the place now!

What about those 'maypole' thingies? They look great for beans, a central pole with wires coming out that you peg into the ground.

Comment

Hank, that's all my peas have, they seem fine so far..

Comment

Did you know that if you sit up all night watching your beans grow, the growing tip circles around in a clockwise manner looking for something to cling onto. Good luck!!!!

Comment

Amanda1, an HOUR is far too long for me to be putting up poles. Not that I wouldn't want to spend the time at the allotment, but I usually can't manage more than 30 minutes at a time at the plot due to family demands, i.e. a 2 year old who quickly bores of digging for worms and can see the swings in the park from the plot.

I went and ordered a couple of the folding willow things, in the hopes of a quick set up. If they don't last, they might last a couple of seasons when time is really tight now and I need to spend more time fighting back the grass still. Thank you everyone for your input, I will keep your ideas in mind for future plantings.

Comment

Similar situation to yourself and i picked up a pack of two wigwam disc things (don't know the proper name. The disk has several holes for the canes and it holds them altogether so you don't need string. They seem to sell these now which are in sections so you can make a larger wigwam I believe.
                  B&Q Wigwam Cane Grips Pack Of 5, 0000003713501

I pushed all the canes into the holes whist they were on the floor and then lift the hole thing up and simply pushed the other end of the canes into the soil. It was so easy I picked up another pack and had 4 wigwams. Bump didn't get in the way nor did the collapsed pelvis.

Comment

Growem, if you lived closer I'd come and do it for you!

Comment

how long do the canes need to be.. i've got some that are about 4ft.. are these long enough?

Comment

ckfe, not for runner/climbing beans, they need to be about 8ft-ish depending on what you can reach, because you push about a foot in the soil to keep them steady under the weight.
                        4ft ones would be ok for either tall dwarf beans [ I know, contradiction in terms that] or for some peas.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X