Advice on 4 Year Crop Rotation

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zazen,

Do you shove the pots into the seed bed or transplant from the pots?
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
      Have you thought of a seed bed...I sow into pots/modules and shove stuff in a seed bed until I have the space. They're both about half a meter square...but it is a holding area whilst I'm waiting for space to clear.
      I'm shoving the seedlings into a mini-greenhouse when they are ready to harden off - but with the horrible weather of the last couple of days, I've been bringing them in at night for their own safety!

Right now I have nine standard seed trays (with modules in), two root trainer trays, two large plant pots (leeks - as per Sewer Rat's method), and a "shuttle tray" of eighteen 9cm pots of herbs

Comment

Originally posted by Eco-Chic View Post
        Zazen,

Do you shove the pots into the seed bed or transplant from the pots?
        Both. If there is space, the pots sit on the seed bed but mainly this happens:

Sow into modules or pots if I run out

Leave until they are a couple of inches tall - no matter what the plant

Tip out of module/pot and plant straight into seed bed.

When there is space at lottie, dig out plants from seed bed and transplant in final position. Sometimes this means you take a handful at a time and leave the others behind - which is good as it holds them back whilst the others grow on.

The space behind is backfilled with soil from the lottie, and each year it gets a fresh topping from bought in peat free compost mainly to keep the volume up.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X