No announcement yet.

Feeling Thoroughly Bogged Off

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope you are feeling better about things today Shortie. Sounds tough though! I don't have an allotment, but have been amazed at what I have dug out the garden.

Dexter's advice is good and something I also do - break things up into chunks and get one thing done. You feel so much better for having achieved something.

Rabbits - we are plagued and have had to resort to the gun and now also eat them. Fill the hole with stones and earth and then plonk a large rock over the top. I did that for a few holes in the field. It was a start and have now managed to make it rabbit proof, but it is surrounded by walls and gates. I know there are some of you out there who think it is cruel, but when you are overrun with them you have to resort to drastic measures.

Good luck!
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Oh dear....

Sonunds like you've had a bit of a poop weekend. But listen to yourself... a while back you would have done ANYTHING (well almost I'm sure) to get your hands on a lottie. Now you have it... it's hard work (but remember, you only have to do this naff clearing job once)... don't give up on the dream you've wanted for so long!

I would get in contact with the council to see about removing the mattress. I would say that's your best bet.

I don't have a lottie, so I can't comment on the rest of the task ahead of you, but do as the other grapes have suggested (I especially like Dexterdog's suggestion), of breaking the task into small pieces - it'll be much easier.

Cover with tarp the areas you don't need yet... make the shed as manageable as you can for the time being (block up the rabbit hole if needs be) and just get on with tending a small part of the plot for the time being and get that looking great. You'lll get a good bit of satisfaction from that - plant some garlic, or onion sets... seeing something grow will make you feel much better

Above all... don't give up!!!

Comment

Oh Shortie,

I really do feel for you, I have been exact same problem with the grass, used the weedkiller but it came straight back, best thing i have found is just dig over a little at a time and remove all you can, next week see where its sprouting up and dig it out... It Does work !!! its hard work, but worth while, i diddnt think anything would come of my lottie this year , but i have impressed myself with what has grown. As for the rabbits, get a ferret !!! or borrow one, and the matress dumped on your lottie, I'm pretty sure it is the responsibility of the council to have removed it before you arrived there.

Whatever you do DON'T GIVE UP !!!!!! it really it worth all the hard work, i know sometimes its such a horrible disheartning feeling, but hang in there

Nat

Comment

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive Shortie! I was like you - over did it in the beginning, but then we all do don't we? Just try and take it a bit easier (easier said than done I know).
          Actually had a couple of ideas - cheeky mind! Firstly, Dexter the dog could come down and try and catch your rabbits (he likes squirrels but don't think he's ever seen a rabbit!).
          Secondly - as my friend and neighbour keeps saying to me "I'd offer to help, but you may accept!". Seriously, if I lived closer, I'd come and help!
          Hope this makes you smile! Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to.
          Best wishes
          Dexterdog
          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Hi guys. Feeling a bit better today. I went to the lottie today and spoke to the ground steward and apparently they have a couple of times a year when they council come in with a 'fly tip' van and take anything you leave on the paths for them. One is due to come up and he'll le tme know. He also thinks it a fox hole not rabbits... not convinced on that one though...

So new plan of action is to throw hands up to the challenge and collapse the shed with contents in (I've been trying to clear it first to look tidy). Put stuf for the tip up the path end of the lottie for collection and burn anything wooden. Try and keep anythign worthwile on the way.

The Rabbit hole.. I have a really odd, shallow cage thingy in the shed which I'll dig into the gound round the hole to try and stop the coming out again and at least I'll know if it's still in use if they dig around it. I intend to rotivate once the weeds are gone so that'll collapse the hole and hopefully disturb then away.

Feeling a bit irritated at the mo that it's been raining as I couldn't burn anything and from now on in it's only on weekends for me.

Thanksfully I feel more relaxed now and see how I can manage the shed at least

Thanks alot guys
            Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

That's the way to do it Shortie! Dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Sorry to hear you were down after a bad day at the plot Shortie, but can sympathize with you, the clearing does look like its never ending, but just keep focussed on all those lovely home grown veg and how good your plot is going to look once its done! As others have said, break the tasks down into bitesize and manageable bits and tackle them one by one!

As for rabbits, there's usually lots of folks looking for rabbit shooting rights, so may be an idea to contact a local rifle club and see whether there's anyone there (always assumiong it is allowed on the plot and it doesnt upset anyones sensibilities!) Have to agree myself tho, rabbit is very tasty!
                Blessings
                Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi Shortie
                  Glad you feel a bit happier about life on the allotment today.Stick at it - one day soon you'll walk onto your plot and you'll suddenly think to yourself - this is looking good and I did it by myself. You can also spend the winter with the seed catalogues, planning and re-planning what to grow and how much of it, now you have so much more space.
                  Remember, the most important part of the allotment is the tea cup !
                  Rat

British by birth
                  Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                  http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Mattresses seem to be in vougue by the look of this advert at the top of the page. Yours is the only thread involving mattresses so I blame you!!!!Lol
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I must have totally missed matress man...
                      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Don't talk to me about mattresses! Mine is just 12 months old and I'm back to waking in the early hours with a bad back! DDL
                        Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Well the mattress (there, I said it again) has now been exposed as we started to dismantle the shed today. Mostly down before it started to rain.

Hopefully we'll be back tomorrow but I can't see when I'm going to get any of the wood burnt as there's ALWAYS a breeze in the direction of the flats that we're right next to. Ho hum....
                          Shortie

Comment

Does anyone round by you have a bonfire? You could always offer them the wood & the mattress (bugger I said it now) - the M word for their bonfire free of charge if they collect it
                            ntg
                            Never be afraid to try something new.
                            Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                            A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                            ==================================================

Comment

En suite rabbits....gee whizz, what you posh folk in the South get with your allotments !
                              Seriously though Shortie, rabbits don't even need to be shot to be got rid of. In the days when they were called "coneys" and the word "burrow" meant a man made structure to house farmed rabbits (prior to WW1 there were few wild rabbits), to get a "crop" out of a section of burrow they used to just shove something really smelly like burning leather into a burrow. That made them pop out of the other exits into waiting nets. After that the burrow was considered unusable until the smell was gone - rabbits wouldn't go where there was a really strong smell at the entrance. You might need to use a leaf blower to get the smell right throughouta natural burrow, but something smelly at each entrance is not so hard.
                              The other thing is, rabbit fur is not waterproof, so rabbits hate wet burrows. Prolonged spells of wet weather is one of the few things that will reduce their numbers, as they fall prey to illnesses. A scoosh with the hose maybe...?
                              Cunning plan...small repeated bonfires over rabbit hole, put out by buckets of water....it worked for me once.
                              Please keep us informed of your progress - we really want to hear you're rabbiting on !
                              There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Guess the "M" word is a bit like the "M" word in the theatre world, lovies? DDL
                                Bernie aka DDL

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X