Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie seeking advice / opinions / help! Possibility of an allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let us know what happens tomorrow won't you?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
      Let us know what happens tomorrow won't you?

Lol!! Moi?? One thing I'm afraid I've never been accused of is being 'quiet' or reluctant to post!! I'm afraid you'll all think I am far too gobby and posting far too much before much longer!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

No probs Mrs D! There's nowt like a good natter! dexterdog
        Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Lol! How true!!! A girl after my own heart methinks!
          Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 15-09-2006, 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Well, we both took a trip down to the 2 allotments this morning (after we tried ringing the local council liason - who wasnt answering her phone) and had a look at both the sites, the nearer one is very small and overlooked, the plots look small and feels very overcrowded, but the one 1/2 mile away is fantastic!

Had a good walk around, the plots are large, there's a large quantity of free bark chippings for making paths with, car access to each plot and taps on every 3rd or 4th plot too! There are some beautiful allotments, some very well kept and colourful ones, some highly productive ones and unfortunately quite a few that looked sadly neglected! A few were completely overgrown, and some looked like you could get lost in there too!

We had a chat with a couple of folks down there, and were told that they thought there were 2 vacant plots at the moment, one which looked like a jungle and one that had been tended by an older gent until recently, but he was having to let it go as he was poorly. This second site is fairly overgrown, but does have some veg ready for picking now, so if possible thats the one we want to go for!

We were told the local council liason has 2 plots herself, and is usually down there on a Sunday, so we will take another trip down there tomorrow and see what happens! If we dont get to meet her then I think I'll be on the phone on Monday from work and ask if she can confirm if there are any vacant plots and if not if we can join the waiting list for when one becomes available! Hopefully the one we were looking at today is now vacant and we can take possession asap!

As always will keep everyone posted as soon as we find anything else out!
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Good luck Mrs D! let us know how you get on. dexterdog
              Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Excellent! Hopefully your visit tomorrow will work out good!
                Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

We got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We managed to find the coucil liason, a lovely lady who immediately took us over, showed us the plot and basically said its ours if we wanted it!!!

The plot wasnt the one we thought, but the really overgrown one next to it, but does have a small shed, a pond, 3 paths and a fine crop of weeds! We looked at it, thought for all of 2 seconds and said yes!! She said she'd post us the paperwork, but we could get started whenever we wanted! We dont have to pay rent until April (until then it is free as the previous tennant had paid up for the year before letting it go), nor the £5 a year subs til then either!

Anyhows, we rushed home, got changed, grabbed spades, forks, wellies n the camera and spent from 2oclock clearing the paths and beds of the tallest crop of weeds I've ever seen! There's a couple of piccies below of what it was like before we started, and in the next post I'll post a couple of what we managed to get done!

I could get lost in here!

I got a shed!!

Sue wondering where to start!

There's a pond in here somewhere!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 02-06-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: PICCYS
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Congrats on the lottie Mrs D!

Looks as though there may be a couple of aching backs for a while! But I am sure it will be well worth it! Enjoy!

Comment

End of day one!

Ok, a few piccies of what we managed to get done today!

Aha! There's a path!

Take that you dirty weeds!!

End of day one!

Composting nicely!
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 02-06-2009, 08:53 PM.
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Thanks Debs!! Aches havet started yet, Im gonna do some tea and them I think we will both be off for a hot bath, just had to come n tell everyone here ifrst! lol! Dobby is telling me his tummy thinks his throat ahs been cut! lol!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Lovely plot Mrs D and looks like you managed to get loads done on your first day!

And looks like you have an all important rhubarb in there for making the Vine Special - Rhubarb Schnapps!
                          Shortie

Comment

Hi Shortie
                            You will have to send us the recipe for that one
                            Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                            Dobby

Comment

Well done the Dobby's

Looks as though it's not too bad for all those weeds. Is the site the one at the end of Broadway or St. Marys? Next time I'm up that way I'll nip round for an inspection

I bet you sleep tonight.
                              ntg
                              Never be afraid to try something new.
                              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                              ==================================================

Comment

Hi Dobby, this is the one I followed this year, post #5:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rb+schnapps%22

I have no idea why but it seems more potent than normal vodka. Makes no sense as no more fermentation takes place to increase the alcohol content
                                Shortie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X