Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie seeking advice / opinions / help! Possibility of an allotment!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol Nicos! May have to get you down to our plot with some then, think it needs a party to warm it up atm, its sooo bitterly cold with the wind down there! Mind you, we've plenty of weeds to have a bonfire with!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Did someone mention a party? Dexterdog
      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Latest Piccies

Hi all, after being asked, I thought I'd bring together some of the piccies from some of the other threads that feature our plot, hope you like them! I'll try and take some more tomorrow, weather permitting!

A view of the 'Fedge' at the bottom of the right hand bed (the one with the greenhouse at the other end!)

Another view of the 'Fedge', showing the strawbs planted to the south side, a totla of 84 raspberry canes and about 230 strawberry plants in total!

View from the bottom left hand corner of the plot, showing the greenhouse, pond and some of the cleared, double dug and covered beds, all ready for planting in the spring!

Our 'Free' Greenhouse, fully finished and resplendant in all its clean glory! (***** fluid does a darn good job of cleaning, but anyone know how to get rid of the smell from your hands!)

Anyhows, hopefully have some more piccies tomorrow!
        Last edited by Mrs Dobby; 04-12-2006, 11:17 PM.
        Blessings
        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Latest Piccies from our plot!

As I was asked so nicely yesterday we took a few piccies today, showing where we are up to now, hope you like them!

First one is the view from the path at the front, looking towards the back and the highly raised bed. The central beds have been double dug and covered, and the one to the right of the picture near the greenhouse has been 2/3rds double dug. There's only 1 major bed left to dig, the one on the left of the picture which currently has the roots and weeds from the far bed heaped on it, awaiting a dry spell to burn them!

Piccy 2 is the view from the other end of the plot, from the raised bed.

Piccy 3 shows the repairs Mr D made to the boards that hold back the raised bed at the bottom of the plot, he likes the 'rustic' look, hence the uneven tops of the boards! Lol!

Piccy 4 shows the onion sets and garlic that we have growing, strange to think that some of them have only been in for 4 or 5 weeks now!

Piccy 5 shows the greenhouse bed thats now 2/3rds double dug, Mr D has done a great job here!

More piccies in the next post!
          Attached Files
          Blessings
          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

A few more piccies!

Last few for today!

First one is of the back raised bed

Next one is of the side of the shed and 'thing' that were there when we got the plot! Shed needs some work to it (unless we can freecycle a better one) and the 'thing' we think was a homemade plastic coated greenhouse / potting shed, tho we have thought of covering it in black plastic and getting a composting loo in there!

Third one is of one of the nettle roots Mr D got up today!

4th is of the fedge and strawberry beds, methinks some more cutting back fo the leaves on the strawbs is yet needed!

Last one is Lee, asking if we can go back to bed cos its raining! Lol!
            Attached Files
            Blessings
            Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Puts my plots to shame Mrs D. Still haven't mastered the piccies or you'd be inundated with pics of my weeds and brassicas!!
              Bright Blessings
              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Looking good ,Great work .Got a bit behind with mine what with pants colds
                to much work and crap weather. Should get my raised bed wood this week
                at last .
                The force is strong in this one!

Comment

Originally posted by Earthbabe View Post
                  Puts my plots to shame Mrs D. Still haven't mastered the piccies or you'd be inundated with pics of my weeds and brassicas!!
                  LJ has the link to adding piccies to your posts, so perhaps asking her nicely may get you some instructions EB? I'd love to be innundated with piccies of your Brassicas and weeds, cant wait until we have some Brassicas to take some piccies of!

Originally posted by pete10 View Post
                  Looking good ,Great work .Got a bit behind with mine what with pants colds
                  to much work and crap weather. Should get my raised bed wood this week
                  at last .
                  Thanks Pete, sorry to hear of the cold and poor weather, hope you are feeling better now! Good luck with the raising of the beds (sounds like something out of a bad hammer horror plot)
                  Blessings
                  Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

The "Thing" - how about covering it in black plastic or the Black onduline that they use for roofing & grow mushrooms in it - just a thought.

Anyway, looking good Mr & Mrs D bet you cant wait to get the greenhouse up & running.
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

• Hi Nick,

Wow! Mushrooms, what a darn good idea!! I love mushrooms and have to admit to using about 1 1/2 lb of them a week, so if we could grow some on the plot then that would be a great way to cut our shopping bill and get something else from the plot! I've seen the little 'box' type kits, and read their instructions, but other than that havent much of an idea, have you any links that you'd recommend?

Yes, cant wait to get planting in the greenhouse! Its been up now for the last 4 weeks or so, but no planting in their yet, roll on the new year, we both want to get our seedlings sprouting in there ready to be planted out asap!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

• I'll have a dig (no pun intended) in the books & see what I can find. You could use a raised bench with some fresh muck on it and make sort of mild hot bed. you could always force some rhubarb or chicory underneath the bench then
                        ntg

Comment

• You want us to grow MORE rhubarb??????? Lol!!

We've 7 crowns in the plot already (found the other 3 when clearing the raised bed the weekend before last), so I dont think we need to grow any more Nick!

Actually, if we are going to use it for growing mushrooms, then the more we can grow the better, perhaps instead of using the underneath area for forcing we could use it for another type of mushroom? You have me thinking now Nick, thanks for that! I never thought we could possibly grow all the types of veg / fruit and fungus that we eat!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

• http://www.mushroomcouncil.com/grow/grow.html
                            http://www.farminfo.org/garden/mushrooms.htm
                            http://www.handsontv.info/series3/gr...s_germany.html

Try these links for a start.
                            ntg

Comment

• Thanks Nick! I'll have a butchers tomorrow, Mr D wants to go to bed now, something about a special hug he wants to give me!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

• You can never have enough rhubarb - reduces cholesterol & you get loads of excersise running to the loo
                                ntg

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X