Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allotment in the garden or a real allotment?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment in the garden or a real allotment?

Just wondering. I've been fancying an allotment for a while and have my name down on several lists. I have a garden which is mostly grass, but was considering making a plot there but that isn't really having an allotment is it?

Isn't half of the allotment keeping the social side as well? Sharing with your fellow diggers has got to be a main attraction, hasn't it?

So allotment keepers is your plot at home or away?
    Last edited by Joe; 30-01-2009, 08:53 PM. Reason: typo two

Both!! I have got a fairly big garden with 4 raised beds each 4m x 1.2m and was able to get a fair amount of veg from it last year. We took on an allotment recently as we felt we needed to grow more! If I had more room in the garden I wouldn't have taken on the lottie as its much easier to step out the back door!! As for the social side, I love this forum, its interesting, funny, informative, and most importantly WARM!!!!

Comment

It depends on your allotment site, the people there and the times you are likely to be there. My allotment is at a small site, so there aren't many people there. They are all quite friendly, but I see them about 3 out of every 10 times I'm there. So it's a nice bonus, but I wouldn't get an allotment for that reason alone. Our garden isn't big or sunny enough for a proper veg patch, so that's the main reason I have an allotment.

Comment

Growing Veg in your garden is not an allotment it could be a Kitchen Garden but it is not an allotment and never will be.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I grow in my own kitchen garden, Joe , and that suits me. I can step out into it any time I like and my veg are just where I want them. I've got water and electricity out there.
          If I had no garden, or nothing suitable, I would probably want to get an allotment - but when I have it all on my own doorstep, why would I want to go somewhere else.
          You might get some great neighbours at an allotment - or you might get some horrors.
          It's up to you Joe, but I would start turning that grass over.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

mine might as well be an allotment, the front garden is veg, the back garden this year will be fruit and chooks ..... still just about resisting the urge to dig up the back lawn, though if i don't get a lottie soon it may have to go.

Comment

If I had the choice of a garden plot or an allotment, I would go for the garden, much more convienient.
              If we ever do get allotments set up, the first plotholders will probably be quite social as we've got to know each other quite well in our fight to get a site. Hopefully we will be able to continue this with newcomers.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a couple of raised beds, fruit, chickens, a herb bed and two greenhouses at home...then two allotments and another greenhouse on the site five minutes walk away.

Allotments are indeed a community and you can be social, I love it, certainly this is even more important to some folk that would otherwise have limited contact with the world....on the flip side, too much chat can be a hindrance and Lordy can't some gardeners rabbit! I am certainly there to grow veg and feed the family (whilst running a business at the same time) and so there are jobs that must get done in the time available....learn to chat as you work!

The advantages of home inc. just being there, so I keep an eye on the propagation and have leccy etc. The Beds are normally used for crops that need lots of picking or attention...it is also more sheltered here. Mind you I like veg beds and find it quite attractive but not all folk do... but mainly I just don't have the space I want.... You might also consider a Geoff Hamilton style 'ornimental kitchen garden' which is a nice way to grow at home.

Comment

I would defo go for a lottie. A home kitchen garden is easier to maintain and can be ornamental i grow toms out of hanging baskets all colours and looks great. My Lottie is all fenced off from others and my neighbours are quite unsocialable. There are a few people i speak to but only on passing. The best thing and the reason i recomend a lottie is that it's your own private space away from home to unwind. In the height of summer i spend days on end down there with my wife and son not always doing work but relaxing. It feels like i'm a million miles away from everything and is just the best feeling. Allotments don;t just have to be about veg, i've got chickens, grow flowers and plan to build a treehouse and adventure playground for me lad. Friends and family always jump at the chance of a BBQ down there with fresh sweetcorn cooked minutes after picking the best ever. It's what you make it, how much time you have to spend down there and your DIY Skills and versitility(The lads at work have nicknamed me skip rat for my constant piltherage of hidden treasures in skips!!!!)

Comment

A garden plot would be handier for me as I have a 7 mile trek to my allotments. Having said that though, I enjoy the banter and camarrardery of the allotments.
                    I have two allotments but would willingly give one up if I had a big enough garden at home.
                    In particular a garden is handier for keeping chooks, greenhouse culture and herbs really should be grown close at hand so they can be picked and used fresh.
                    Allotment scores for me with a rural setting (at least ours has) which gives piece and quiet if required but also the 'open door, kettle is always on' culture of our yesterdays. It's good to swap ideas, get advice and give advice if asked,help is always at hand for lifting etc, seed and plant swapping is common place and even a little bit of competition in some areas.

In a nutshell I think an allotment complememts a garden but theirs nothing wrong with using whatever is available and suits your lifesytyle!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Our lottie is quite sparse on the friendly banter - apart from the one guy who is tending the neighbouring plot even though it isn't his...the original tenants haven't been since July.

But, our actual gardens are a patch of land by the canal, and split up in allotment style, and lots of us DO grow veg in them - some have decking and canoes stored, some have a shed and a table for eating out in the summer and some just grass. We have 5 raised beds and I grow tender/winter veg there and my OH has borders which - it has to be said - look stunning.

To me, I'd need to grow veg so take what you can - our lottie is full of grumpy blokes who didn't want to pay an extra tenner a year [from £5 to £15] to allow 3 plots to be rotavated and taken - they moan about EVERYTHING and quite frankly I can't be bothered trying to be nice anymore- so I just smile, say 'hiya' and get on with my thing.

Comment

I'm lucky enough to have the space at home to grow what I want. I love being able to pick asparagus or sweetcorn and it's in the pan literally within minutes. I work full time so it's ideal for me to be able to work in the garden while the washing's on and fit in the other chores!

But there are advantages to both, why not create a growing space at home while you wait for your allotment - best of both worlds!
                        Life is too short for drama & petty things!
                        So laugh insanely, love truly and forgive quickly!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
                          Just wondering. I've been fancying an allotment for a while and have my name down on several lists. I have a garden which is mostly grass, but was considering making a plot there
                          How long are the waiting lists and are you likely to get a plot soon?

Using the space in your garden would let you get started with growing veg/fruit etc whenever you want to.
                          Julie

Comment

as much as i enjoy my allotment i would love to just be able to step out of my door into a big garden and run in when it rains as it is i have a small garden so have to get wet when it rains!

Comment

being at the allotment is an alltogether different feeling from the home garden,and it gets you out of home,without shopping to do it
                              sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X