Composting Dog Waste

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Joe View Post

One thing I'm really puzzled about some dog owners; they pick up the dog's doings and put it in a plastic bag, then they lob it up a tree. What's all that about? I kid you not. Next time I see some I will photograph it and post it here.
    Yes, I have seen them too. I pick up after my two dogs and then bin it and really don't understand the lazyness of lobbing it into a tree %/
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
    If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

Yeah, don't understand the tree decorations either. Surely not thrown in though - tied in?

None of the dog owners I know (me included) do it so I can't ask them why. Its like midlemlane drivers - no one admits to doing it!

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
        what do councils do with dog waste collected from their public dog waste bins? Is it composted or buried?
        Landfilled. And we all pay for it through our council tax.

Other countries are more enlightened: California turn it into central heating !
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 04-02-2013, 03:33 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

This week I emptied one of the dog poo daleks, which has been left unused for about 3 months.
          I took the plastic dalek off, and left the heap uncovered for a few days to let the birds pick through it, and for the moisture to evaporate a bit before I started shovelling.

There was no trace of poop: although a few biodegradable poop bags remain, they are empty. Most of the poop I pick up and wrap in newspaper, so the paper just rots down.

I forked out the top unrotted layers and put them in the bottom of a new heap, then I started forking through the heap, laying it on the flower beds. It's honestly some of the best compost I've made: dark & crumbly, seething with worms.
          No smell, no evidence of dog poop.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stew_L View Post
            Yeah, don't understand the tree decorations either. Surely not thrown in though - tied in?

None of the dog owners I know (me included) do it so I can't ask them why. Its like midlemlane drivers - no one admits to doing it!
            Apparently some people loop the poop bag onto a branch to remind them to pick the bag up on their way back home - then they don't need to carry it around with them on the whole walk. It would need to be in reach though, not right up in the tree!
            I prefer the stick n flick method myself - a steady hand and good aim needed tho.
            Gardening is cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes

Comment

I was debating if to do this and after reading the stuff here am thinking why not. Can anyone suggest a why not??? Or is the job a gooden???
              Today I will be mainly growing Vegetables.

Tonight The bloody slugs & snails will eat them!

https://www.facebook.com/manchester....ts?ref=tn_tnmn

Comment

Good for you two sheds. Not for me but then cant please everyone. Thing this would be a great idea for town parks waste could be reused onto the flower beds.
                Growing vegetables and flowers to share.
                www.takeoneseed.wordpress.com

Comment

Right, that does it - I'm not growing anything here, except shrubs and a few spuds in buckets. My Dog is fed largely meat (plus he doesn't really like kibble), so his poops can go in the tumbler with grass mowings.

Cheers TS!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

or build your own biogas digester to produce methane for your stove in the shed .Apparently one dog "egg" produces enough methane to make two cups of tea,it also produces good compost.search biogas digesters and see if it lights your candle,or even your dog muck
                    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
                    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

52c in the dog poo dalek at the moment

Comment

Can dog poo compost be used under fruit trees and large fruit bushes? No risk of any bad pathogens contamination in this case I think, tell if I am wrong.
                        Last edited by Pineberry; 14-08-2013, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Yes, if it's been properly composted (1 year old compost is the usual window recommended, 2 if you want to be super-cautious). Pathogens (eg roundworm) cannot travel into a tree and infect the fruit: any danger is from getting the pathogens directly from the soil.

So don't use it on anything that you eat the leaves of, eg. lettuce, cabbage

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X