X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Jennie,

Manuring in a 3 bed system will work as follows:

(using same key as my earlier post!)
    Area 1 (Root crops) - Dig over as normal and feed with a general fertiliser such as Bonemeal, or, if you want to be organic, Blood, Fish and Bone.

Area 2 (Brassicas) - Dig over as normal and then apply a general fertiliser as above. Depending on the pH of the soil, you would apply the necessary amount of lime.

Area 3 (Potatoes, Leeks etc.) - Dig as much manure or compost as you can into this bed over the winter or very early spring. Approximately 2 weeks before planting, feed with a general fertiliser. In this bed you will plant the very heavy feeders such Potatoes, Beans, Peas, Celery, Sweet Corn, Marrows, Courgettes, Spinach, Outdoor Tomatoes, Leeks and Cucumbers.

The above plan would be Year 1....for the following years you just rotate the manure with the crop....

eg for Year 2 - Area 1 becomes everything else and so needs manuring, Area 2 becomes roots and needs bonemeal or equivalent and Area 3 becomes brassicas so check for lime.

If you have more manure than is needed by the one area you can use some on any aditional area except root crops.

I hope this clears it up for you....please ask if I can help any further.
    Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Many thanks Geordie - your a star! Always so much easier to understand when you set it out for us!
      Jennie
      ~
      Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X