No announcement yet.

Wellies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bob flowerdew cuts out wellie sized inserts from pieces of carpet, he has two pairs and puts them in his aga to warm up before he goes out! one pair on and the other heating up in the aga, and changes them over when they go cold. Bizarre but he swears by it.
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by miffy View Post
      Bob flowerdew cuts out wellie sized inserts from pieces of carpet,

He then covered his plot with the rest of the carpet.

Comment

They had some very fancy (and expensive) welly liners at Tatton Show last year. Were very nice and folded over the tops like somebody said above. Only problem I could see (other than the price there!) was that I'd have needed bigger wellies to get them on. Tend to wear my old site rigger boots normally which are fur lined and big enough to get a decent pair of think walking boots underneath so end up with toasty feet (although one of them does leak a bit so must remember to stop walking through puddles!)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I have just noticed your post, I love "Muddies" they are not wellies but shoes they are very comfortable I were them all the time, taking dogs for walks, doing allotment, ect. In fact all the family now have them they are great, waterproof, warm in winter, and they also do not over heat your feet in summer. I would advise these shoes.

Regards Potty

Comment

I'd leave the wellies and get some walking boots. A sturdy sole and with proper outer and liner to keep your feet warm.
            http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can buy them from larger garden centres cost about £6-£7.

Comment

I used to work in outdoor retailing and I think I must have sold just about every type of wellie-warming device known to mankind. Then I moved on to working outside in fields full of knee deep snow all day long. The secret seemed to be insulating from the ground and/or keeping the moisture from your sweaty feet away from said feet.
                All our work gang used to use heavy duty corrugated cardboard (don't lose the stencil !) and in my case, insoles made from a cheapo camping sleep mat on top was just luxury. Cost: £5 for a dozen pairs.
                There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

The cheapskate option: 2 pairs of thick socks, then one plastic bag on each foot before it goes in wellie.
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I found even with lots of socks that my feet froze in wellies, so then I bought some kind of combo boots/wellies from Millets and have never wore my wellies since.

They are lined all the way to the top with fur, have velcro sides and a toggle at the top. They are made from blue rubber, with a good rubber heel and gripe, just like a wellie. Much easier to put on though, as the velcro allows you to keep them as loose as you want. So lots of room for socks and trousers to fit without any disscomfort.

The big difference is that my feet have never being cold since, I am only a size 4 so they could well have been from the children's section. But it's certainly worth checking out at Millets and asking them.

I also buy age 13 Peter Storm thermals, so I'm very snug.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsc2b View Post
                      A bit of a daft question you might think. My feet get soooo cold when wearing wellies, can you buy liners for them or do you just wear a few pairs of socks?
                      Not a daft question at all, as I have the same problems whether on lottie, or taking Dexter Dog for walkies. Yes, you can buy liners, but I can't remember where from. I usually put on a pair of thick tights, or thermal lady johns, a pair of socks, then a pair of thick, woolly bed socks! This usually does the trick for me.
                      Bernie aka DDL
                      PS - now my secrets out!
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

you could always knit some snug socks

Comment

Le chameau! I inherited (literally) a pair recently and they are fantastic - expensive but fantastic leather lined and keep your toes as warm as toast. And look like they will last forever.
                          Pat
                          "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Lucky you! Just had a look on Le Chameau website. They are £252 a pair!! They would have to last forever at that price

Comment

You can buy 'wellie socks'. The ones I've seen only come in a drab green, but they are the warmest most comfy socks I've ever owned. They are knee length and I thought that would be a bit of a problem as my wellies are tight as it is around my calves, but they seem to act as calf corsets and the wellies fit better.
                              Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by cornish crabber View Post
                                Lucky you! Just had a look on Le Chameau website. They are £252 a pair!! They would have to last forever at that price
                                I did say I inherited them! Thinking about it and looking on the website my wellies when new cost half as much as my 90ft x 30ft poly tunnel!!!

Regards
                                Pat
                                My father in law gave them to me, as he didn’t like the leather liners!! I am glad we have the same size feet
                                "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X