No announcement yet.

Damage to my allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to put up with it. We now have a rule that no fuel is allowed in sheds on the plots. You can leave mowers but the tanks must be left empty.

I leave a 5hp rotovator in my shed and had to bolt a sheet of 1/4 steel to the underside of the base and then have a chain throuth that and round the rotovator.

The bloke next to me has a shed made of 3/4 shuttering ply. and a green house with a exo-skelengton of steel mesh about a fot bigger that the greenhouse so they cant stone the glass.

I turne up one day with 1ton of manure and they had stolen the wheelbarrow. You just have to accept it. it happens.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

idea about the wheelbarrow NOG take off the wheel it's no good without one and only takes a few mins to replace when you want to use it.

Comment

Allotment vandalism

Hi everyone.

We are new to the forum and our site has had similar problems with vandalism as described by George and within the last couple of months. Why oh why do these mindless morons have to destroy other peoples harmless pastimes.
        The little darlings need a good kick up the rear end.
        Mind you I think that hanging and flogging would be a better option

We were very lucky that our plot so far has not been affected (fingers crossed)

George, we to are on the southside of brum, could we be on the same site!!!!

We find this forum goes very well with GYO mag which we have recently found and started buying, it covers all we need as regards veg growing, all hints and tips are great.

Our only disapointment is that try as we may we can't find a colour coded plot rotation diagram that I can print out.

Ah well we can't have everything I suppose.
        Vron, Tara & Harley. (The black beastie)

"The more people I meet, the more I like my Dogs"

Comment

Hi Vron, welcome to the vine. Maybe Tara & Harley are the reason you dont get vandals

As to colour coded plot rotation, why not use Power point. It's ok for presentations but I find it great for garden design

Like this

Click image for larger version

Name:	shed-900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2318063
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Hi vron and welcome to the Vine! Lots of very friendly grapes who have lots of experience and advice (I'm not one of them - I'm still learning, but very friendly!! ) Your puppy dogs look lovely! Dexter the dog says "woof woof!". Look forward to hearing how you get on. DDL
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Could your allotment members get together and buy and plant some thorn whips along the boundaries of the allotment, not an instant fix but in time will make a good barrier, this has been done on the site I am on and touch wood we have very little damage or intrution.
              Last edited by PAULW; 17-10-2006, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I'm sorry that you've had thugs in your allotment. Similar to slugs but worse.

Someone has been into my plot and pinched some manure. Not a great disaster, but still feels a bit bad.

How about planting some very prickly and painful fruit bushes all around your boundary? Tayberry/blackberry etc. We used to get people climbing over our garden fence to get their footballs back, but a vigorous climbing rose has stopped this!

Good luck - don't give up. Growing veg is far too satisfying to throw the towel in.

Comment

Sorry to hear your news Peta - lets just hope when they were carrying it they slipped! DDL
                  Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Mr E and I have joined the broken into shed club. We finally got down yesterday to plant garlic and broad beans to find that some **@!&* had cut the fence to the site and tried to get into a number of sheds. The bolt and the padlock held out the door to the shed didn't. Again nothing taken - nothing flammable/saleable in there, but Mr E now has to build us a new door. It's not like we can spend all day every day doing diy.

Contacted the council who were concerned the site rep hadn't contacted us. Reported it to the police who initially weren't interested but as whoever it was had autographed our shed window and left the tools (one of which was inside the shed) they have put in an appearance.

I'm really cross that the site rep hasn't made proper efforts to contact us especially as we could have fixed the door this week. Andy (Mr E) is back to work on Monday so will have to use his day off to sort it out. I may try and Freecycle a door.

On a plus note all our veggies are looking great and the weeds look to be giving in.

Why oh why do people do this. Oh well now they know there's nothing worth having maybe they won't try again.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

What a shame earthbabe. The people who do these things have no respect for anybody, anything or themselves. Truly ignorant people and a sad reflection of their miserable little lives. Don't let them get you down. Keep on with your own plans. Glad to hear the veggies are doing well.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Oh Earthbabethats awful. The thugs don't even do it for what they can find in the shed but just to wind people up. Its like they're saying look, theres no point in bolting your shed, i can get into it anyway.
                        Don't let them get to you. As for the police, you would be better off trying to catch the thugs yourself.

And when your back stops aching,
                        And your hands begin to harden.
                        You will find yourself a partner,
                        In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Sorry to hear the bad news EB, two of the locks on two of the sheds on our llotment were attempted last week, but not broken through! Our shed is that rotten that there's no point locking it, so at the moment we dont leave any tools there, which is a pain! When we've sorted the shed out then it'll make life a bit easier, but then there's always that worry about some thieving git helping themselves! I guess if it happened to us we'd be cursing a lot!
                          Blessings
                          Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
                          Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
                          Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
                          On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Hi to you all

I have been reading all these posts where peoples allotments have been badly vandalised and nearly destroyed,I am very saddened to see it and my heart goes out to you all. The good thing is the positive attitude from all you grapes (that may also have been affected)to rally round those that have suffered so much, to give words of support and encouragement, and not to give in to these mindless pieces of scum that walk this planet.

I would like to say to you all, keep going, there is a lot of enjoyment out there on the plots and good will overcome evil.Should any one falter or lose direction, come to the vine and talk to your fellow grapes who will be more than pleased to help in any way they can to give advice and raise your spirit.

When I was a young sprog my dad had an allotment, he use to walk to it with all his tools in a wheelbarrow as there was no shed on it, the only other thing he took was a bottle of cold tea sorry to go on.
                            Skipper

Chinese Proverb - He who asks a question is a fool for a minute; he who does not remains a fool forever

Comment

Thanks for all your encouragement - the officer my husband met with was helpful and the main thing she suggested was that which has been suggested on this forum - don't put a padlock on it. A bolt to keep the door closed and leave it at that. We firmly believe that in some way, shape or form what goes around comes around. Can't vouch for the timing but there is balance in all things in this world and beyond. I'd have been very upset if they had trashed the veggies - the kale and sprouts are looking superb and we have a huge feed of kale for today's roast. The wheelbarrow was sitting out on the other plot (bright orange b&q job so stands out like a lighthouse) quite happily where I had left it full of weeds three weeks ago.

The blessing is that I tried to get down last weekend with Miss E who point blank refused so I didn't push it. Mr E was in Dorking. If I had walked in and found it last weekend I'd have been distressed and the door was dangerous with nails and things sticking out.

Def a blessing that little one.
                              Bright Blessings
                              Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X