Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting Rhubarb

Hi everyone,
    I've just moved on to a new plot and the rhubarb is in the wrong place!
    The gate into the plot wont open more than about 30cm as rhubarb has been planted too closely behind it.
    If I dig it up and move it somewhere else on the plot will it survive or is it the wrong time of year? It's currently about 15cm tall.
    I could leave it where it is but I'm getting too old to keep stepping over the fence.
    Any advice gratefully received.

If it has already started growing then moving it now isn't ideal, but rhubarb is pretty tough and it's still fairly early in the year, so if it needs moving I say just do it. The plant will survive; rhubarb are tough plants. Just give it a good feed when you transplant it, be sure to give it a good soaking in dry spells this year, and don't pick any this year.
    Last edited by ameno; 07-03-2022, 06:41 PM.

Comment

If it's in the wrong place for you I'd move it, you don't want to go falling over that fence.
      ​​​​​
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Many years ago my husband dug our rhubarb up with a few short roots and left it on the path because neither of us like rhubarb. Two or three months later my late uncle was muttering about wanting rhubarb and we said take that blob and see if it grows. Many years later it is still happily growing in what was his garden. I presume therefore that rhubarb can withstand most things.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
          Many years ago my husband dug our rhubarb up with a few short roots and left it on the path because neither of us like rhubarb. Two or three months later my late uncle was muttering about wanting rhubarb and we said take that blob and see if it grows. Many years later it is still happily growing in what was his garden. I presume therefore that rhubarb can withstand most things.
          It can certainly withstand composting. On several occasions I've put small pieces of crown (with buds) on the compost just to get rid of them, but rather than rotting they've still been alive several months later when I come to turn or empty the compost bin. I've learnt I need to chop them up small if I actually want them to die.

Comment

Thanks everyone.
            I'm going to move it.

Comment

The original crown will most likely split up allowing you to start several new crowns.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                The original crown will most likely split up allowing you to start several new crowns.
                Good idea.
                I'll see how big it is when I dig it up.

Comment

Remember to keep the crown above soil level. Ideally at the same height as before or a tad higher.
                  If it’s too deep you risk getting crown rot and will lose the plant.
                  "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Successfully moved and it looks quite healthy in its new location.
                    Also, I've avoided falling over any more fences.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X