No announcement yet.

Runner bean frame layout advice please.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner bean frame layout advice please.

I have recently revamped part of the garden, so currently a blank canvas.
    My plan is to build some Munty type bean frames that will be a permanent fixture.
    Garden runs N/S.
    My question is do you have any advice if I should build one long one N/S or several short ones E/W?
    I luv runner beans! Not had any decent ones since I was a child.

Added some pictures to give an idea of the layout - I need to incorporate a path through the patch.
    One long frame N/S right against the tunnel or a path separating them?
    Several short rows E/W , again against tunnel or with path separating.
    Path down middle of plot?
    Frames other side against fence, again, N/S or E/W?

Compost bin for scale...
    Last edited by moreteavicar; 26-09-2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

If you imagine both lots of plants planted in each direction,they’d all be in the same section of space so I think either way is good

Edit- I didn’t see your second post this reply goes with the first post
      Last edited by Jungle Jane; 26-09-2021, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
        If you imagine both lots of plants planted in each direction,they’d all be in the same section of space so I think either way is good
        But E/W will use more space as there will be whatever gap i decide, between the frames, equalling more "dead" space.

Comment

Yes from the photo north to south next to the polytunnel would be good but would it shade what’s in the tunnel,I don’t think it would as your south facing?

Comment

Part of my dilemma!
            Last edited by moreteavicar; 26-09-2021, 02:28 PM.

Comment

What are you planning for the left side of the garden next to the fence,could the bean frame go there,that’s where I’d put it as its a tall structure,north to south.

Comment

I would recommend north-south. If you do east-west then the north side will be in heavy shade all day, whereas north-south means each side is only shaded for half the day at most.

Comment

I have a permanent runner bean structure and had to sort out a problem with flying rats landing on the top bars and ripping off the lead shoots and dropping them to the ground.
                  I had to fit spile strips made from rusty wire. The rusty wire makes there feet go manky stopping them from landing on sprout tops if they persist with my beans.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF7118.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	2533785
                  Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Flying rats!! ​​​​​ That's a problem I've yet to encounter (thankfully). Are they a Worksop speciality?
                    Mostly flowers, some fruit and veg, at the seaside in Edinburgh.

Comment

Yes Plot70, that is the sort of thing I am planning.

Tell me, do you train the plants continuously?
                      I have read others saying if you don't, they end up in one, jumbled, mass.

And what are you growing yours up?
                      Last edited by moreteavicar; 27-09-2021, 06:31 AM.

Comment

I am growing them up canes/wires with the frame as a main support for the tops of the canes.
                        The right hand side of the frame is proposed to be a hen run boundary. I will keep the vines off the shared uprights once the hens are out.
                        Many all cane supports often get blown over by the wind on our plots.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X