Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfer from council to association control

Afternoon all.

1. Our allotment is 'managed' by the local council, though with varying degrees of efficiency. A few years back they tried to transfer it to a tenant led association though this was voted down at the time by a small minority. Due to continued issues with neglectful plot holders, there is a renewed interest in getting an association. Does anyone on the forum have experience of such a transfer, or just some general hints and tips on how to run one.

2. I estimate the income from the allotment to be c. £1,250 pa. I would estimate our expenses to be quite modest (water rates, insurance). What other costs are we likely to be responsible for?

many thanks in advance.

There'll be some one off costs, e.g. we are just getting quotes in to replace the 30 year old gate to the site (plus new keys for everybody). Fence repairs between the site and surrounding gardens.

Maintenance of things like taps if you don't have members who can do these things.

Water rates were responsible for much of the rent increases over the last few years. 5 years ago our annual plot rent was £25, it is now £40. Esp last year and the year before (maybe not this year) it was so hot that people were using considerably more water, and utility rates seemed to have gone up as well.

Comment

Right, the best thing to to would be to contact the NSALG (www.nsalg.org.uk)

They will be able to give you advice as they deal with this daily I would guess. the old site where I was it was a private site and they leased it to the allotments for a nominal fee per plot and this was agreed in advance and fixed for a number of years. we had to pay for running repairs to the site (Water taps, and the associated pipework) Water Rates, fencing, gates and locks. The keys we charged a payment for which was returned if you returned the key .... it was something like £10. They arranged loads of Manure and Woodchip and this was to the individual rather than to the site so if you wanted some they would arrange and charge you for it (£20 a load I think it was) other things were NSALG membership (but this was added to the plot fee so it was £10 per plot + whatever the national member ship was - I think they charged a cost for bands of plots.

Incomes we had the plot rent, we ran a shop that we made a bit out of and that was it. but you also have to consider HEalth and safety ( a pain in the arse but you need it) A bullying policy ... basically anything that an employer has to consider within reason to cover yourself.

it may pay you to get a copy of the Allotment handbook that has a lot of info about it.

We gave everyone a new agreement to sign with 2 sets of the rules and reg one that they had to sign and return and one to keep. we had one person who refused so we politely asked him to vacate the plot ... he signed in 10 minutes

You'll need a bank account as well ideally and ofcourse a committee to run the site that brings other things like newsletters, AGM's etc ...

it sounds a ball ache and to start with it is but its a one off job then it shou run its self pretty well.
      Buy The Allotment Handbook By Sophie Andrews. Available in used condition with free delivery in the UK. ISBN: 9781899233106. ISBN-10: 1899233105
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X