Advice on rotation needed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on rotation needed

We have a large allotment which is primarily made up of 4 4.5m x 10m beds, plus 2 4m x 3.5m beds and 3 1.5m x 3m raised beds. It's now too much work as we get older so we've given up 2 of the big beds and both smaller beds. We intend splitting the 2 4.5 x 10m beds to give us 4 growing spaces. We still want to grow 1/ potatoes, 2/ alliums and parsnips 3/ brassicas and 4/ legumes. My question is (sorry it took so long) which do we grow adjacent to each other? Our thoughts were onions and spuds in one bed and brassica legumes in the other but is this the right mix?

I grow the carrots, turnips, salad crops in the raised beds..........easier to net

As long as you rotate them all each year it doesn't really matter which blocks you have next to each other. They don't really have any pests or diseases that could spread between the two groups.

Although it may be worth thinking about where the sun is, and which crops are taller (runner beans, taller brassicas) and therefore might cast shade on smaller plants.
    It's also worth noting that runner beans and French beans don't really actually need rotating (unlike broad beans and peas, which do), as they are generally not prone to any sorts of soil-dwelling pathogens or pests. Rotating them doesn't hurt, though.

Comment

Thanks Ameno

We're very lucky in that the plot has sun literally all day ....well when it shines anyway, so shadowing is not a huge problem although we do try and be mindful of orientation of planting. I think we've (almost) decided to put the brassicas and legumes next to each other because then we only need to net one bed. Currently we have nets over 2 and that's a LOT of net for 10 x 4.5 metre bed with a head height of 2 m.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X