Conifer woodchip

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conifer woodchip

Hi guys, have been away for a few years - life and cancer intervened in my allotmenteering. Full throttle now and have many questions saved up. Only 2 for now though.
    1.We have a load of confer woodchip with a lot of green at allotment. Have been using in paths but someone said they were going to put it around raspberries. Are there any other places that it might be beneficial?
    2. Where is the best place to put 10 bags(25 kg) of mushroom compost. Thinking of top dressing brassica beds and tomatos, cucumbers, chilis and aubergines in polytunnels.
    Any advice very welcome, Kris.
    No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Hi Kris and welcome back, hope you're well now, for question 1 as it will be on the acidic side, maybe round Blueberries if you grow them. With regards to spent mushroom compost, my Dad used to use this a lot on the '60's everywhere, but I have never found a source for it, so haven't used it myself, I think it's more of a soil improver rather than a feed as most of the nutrients have been used up.

Comment

Have been meaning to get a blueberry, Thanks Burnie.
      No matter:the allotment is lovely, the tadpoles have legs, my sea kale has germinated and I am glad to be home.

Comment

Get 2 they will pollinate better.

Comment

I have got two in a brick and concrete bed and they have produced a pretty good crop each year.
          I have never topped the bed up with conifer chips but have used rosemary pruneings and sycamore chips over the years.
          Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X