Wonderwall

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wonderwall

We've moved to right on the coast in windy Lossiemouth, Morayshire -not necessarily cold and certainly not wet, but the winds are terrific and very drying. I'm not sure a polytunnel is the way to go up here so was wondering about the Wonderwall netted tunnel option (far cheaper too). I contacted the manufacturers but there wasn't really much to be learned and I can't find any YouTube consumer videos. Has anyone any experience of using one please? I'd really appreciate any info at all!

I had never heard of them, I had a look at their website and it seems a bit vague compared to some sites, it doesn't tell you what the frame is made from and there is only a casual comment as to how long the cover will last. I think I would like to know a lot more before I parted with my money, maybe you need to call them and ask a few direct questions about things like how long is the guarantee(if there is one) and how much does a replacement cover cost. What diameter are the hoops in the structure and how thick are the walls of the tube, you could then compare like for like with other suppliers, I do know that some poly tunnel makers also supply netting and their sites seem to be a fair bit more informative, good luck and let us how you get on.

Comment

Hi, Burnie... Thanks for that...You have said pretty much what I was concerned about. I did email them and even the reply was vague. The thing is I know I heard of them a good few years ago and it sounded fairly positive..a week ago, then I received an email from GrowYourOwn sort of promoting it so that reminded me. Your idea of the polytunnel manufacturers is brilliant-I had got myself so wrapped up in Wonderwall netting that I hadn't looked at it from that angle so thanks very much! I will update-I'd really like to get something sorted before the end of the year. I just tried to include an attachment of the email but 'I'm not authorised'

Comment

When I lived facing the Bristol Channel I used windbreak netting and that seemed to work. The only thing to remember is that for every foot of height you get 8ft of protection.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Thanks for that I appreciate it and will store that info... but I'd love a bit of protection for myself too so I have somewhere to go and potter under some sort of protection...also, my brassicas have been decimated by cabbage whites so really I'm looking for a tunnel.... am thinking that a windbreak would be good for another area though!

Comment

Sorry to bump up and old thread.

I just wanted to give some personal inight about the wonderwall.

We got our allotment last March and were given permission to put up a Wonderwall of any size, so we got the biggest one, lol.πŸ˜€
            We grew some amazing crops including brussels, romanesco and peas. My sister asked us to put 2 courgette plants in which we did and they went bezerk!

It has survived a number of storms without a wobble (touch wood!) And it done a fantasic job of keeping off the pigeons and cabbage whites.
            I can post some photos if you are interested. πŸ™‚

Comment

Originally posted by Myplotismyhappyplace View Post
              Sorry to bump up and old thread.

I just wanted to give some personal inight about the wonderwall.

We got our allotment last March and were given permission to put up a Wonderwall of any size, so we got the biggest one, lol.πŸ˜€
              We grew some amazing crops including brussels, romanesco and peas. My sister asked us to put 2 courgette plants in which we did and they went bezerk!

It has survived a number of storms without a wobble (touch wood!) And it done a fantasic job of keeping off the pigeons and cabbage whites.
              I can post some photos if you are interested. πŸ™‚
              You'll have to make a few more posts before the forum software will let you post pictures, I think it's 10 posts(we've had an upgrade so not sure exactly now).

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post

You'll have to make a few more posts before the forum software will let you post pictures, I think it's 10 posts(we've had an upgrade so not sure exactly now).
                Ok, thank you. I guess I'll have to wait for a bit. πŸ™‚πŸ‘

Comment

I've seen a photo recently of a wonder wall that collapsed under the weight of snow however a neighbour has had one for years with no problems. Hers is anchored down very well at the corners with posts and hooks over the bars on the ground and snow is bashed off.
                  Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
                  Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
                  Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
                  Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Snow is not something we really have an issue with in Cambridgeshire but ours is anchored down and secured at every possible point.
                    It has survived quite a few gales with no issues at all and so far we are really happy with it. Not sure how it might have faired in more northerly parts prone to heavy snow though. πŸ™‚

Comment

So at the end of the season presumably you have to pick the whole thing up and move it or you have to grow different veg in it for crop rotation purposes?
                      I may be hungry but I sure ain’t weird

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X