X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid, ill health...

I have just received this email.
    I let the secretary know I was poorly 2-3 months ago. I did not receive a reply.
    This is the first contact I have had with the committee

Below is a letter from our Chairman.

Kind Regards

Dear

I hope you are continuing to recover from the Covid infection.

Both of your plots are in a very poor state and are causing a problem to other plot holders.

I understand that poor health is the reason behind this..

Can I suggest that you give up the small plot to enable you to concentrate your energy's on the larger plot. That site alone will require a substantial amount of work to improve and maintain.

The after affects of Covid 19 are thought to last for months maybe years so I think just concentrating on the one plot would be in your best interests.

Kind Regards

I am so upset by this.

I have not replied yet. I need to think.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Thanks

It is not a very tactful letter and I don't have an allotment.. The after affects, if any, are likely variable for different people. You need to be realistic and formulate a plan of action with a time line that you would be able to carry out and that the committee should be OK with.
    One thing you need to consider is whether, fully utilised, could the larger plot be sufficient for your needs?

If you went along with their suggestion, is it likely in the future, if you got the one plot ship-shape, they would give you some extra land again?

One thing that could be happening is a lot more interest being shown in allotments since the lock down. A lot more people have been buying seeds for their gardens and a lot are likely to be looking for an allotment. The committee may be receiving receiving a lot of requests for plots.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_Riga View Post
      One thing that could be happening is a lot more interest being shown in allotments since the lock down. A lot more people have been buying seeds for their gardens and a lot are likely to be looking for an allotment. The committee may be receiving receiving a lot of requests for plots.
      I think that may well be the case. It certainly is where I am. There's actually a waiting list, now, which is a real novelty. This time last year, my site alone had a dozen vacant plots, and there are over a dozen sites in town, all but two of which had vacant plots.

Comment

Hi Nutmeg and welcome to the Vine. Sorry to hear about your infection and current situation.
        Before Covid were both your plots kept clean, cultivated and in a good state of fertility (as per the allotments act and in keeping with the tenancy agreement you signed). If they were I'd say you have a very good argument to go back to the committee with.
        Like most reasonably maintained allotments I imagine your plots in mid-April were ready to go for the season and already being planted up in which case getting them back into shape will be mainly a case of dealing with 2-3 months worth of annual and newly set weeds. The committee (hopefully experienced gardeners) should be able to see that dealing with that sort of growth isn't an insurmountable task and that they'd be prepared to work with you in forming or accepting your plan of action.

Good luck with it and keep us posted how you get on
        Location ... Nottingham

Comment

I can see both sides. Is there no-one who could go and do some tidying up for you? In the past people were only allowed two plots if there was no waiting list. If there is a waiting list I can understand the committees dilemma.If two plots are being maintained well hey have no grievance, but if punters who are on the waiting list see untended plots they would ask why.

Hope you get a satisfactory conclusion.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Hello and welcome, Nutmeg.

How long have you had the two plots? I agree with Mr Bones that being able to show a history of caring for both your allotments in the past would be a good argument in your favour. That and pointing out that you haven't been to the site in order not to infect others there.

How is your health now? Are you able to go back to tending your plots and, if not, do you have any timescale you could give to them? Not easy I know. Yours is a situation that all allotment sites are likely to have to contend with at some point and at the moment I imagine they're all trying to work out what to do.

To be fair to them, Snadger makes some good points. And at least they haven't asked you to give up both plots or the larger plot. Maybe they think that their suggestion isn't entirely unreasonable.

Comment

Try & find out your rights in your agreement regarding the plot & covid19,a lot of government guidelines are the same for all,I just looked at this other allotment & it says -
              “Tenants who are unable to visit their allotment during the pandemic will not be penalised if their plot becomes overgrown or uncultivated.“
              https://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/allotment-covid19
              Could family or a friend help with the plots until you’re well enough? Their letter was just a suggestion you can say no,they probably want to know what your plans are,they might've had complaints about weeds encroaching other plots so they’ll just want to know when you’ll be returning. Maybe a few of the plots are overgrown,they’re just doing what they need to do,don’t let it get you down it’s just the normal thing with plot inspections etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Nutmeg View Post

The after affects of Covid 19 are thought to last for months maybe years
                I'd be pointing out that this is complete speculation.
                Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
                By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
                While better men than we go out and start their working lives
                At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X