Over hanging tree etiquette

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over hanging tree etiquette

Looking for some advice. The plot next to mine has a tree which is planted near to the edge of their plot. The branches are now over hanging the path between our plots and over hanging my plot to the point that a small section is under constant shade. The branches are low hanging, about chest hight, so when walking up and down the path you have to duck under the branches and makes cutting the path a little awkward. I would speak to the plot holder however I have never seen them, in all the time I've had the plot I've not seen them once, I know the plot is in use as the grass is cut and the greenhouse is being used. I left a note but it seems to be ignored. I don't want to cut back the tree as don't feel it's right as it's not mine but it's starting to irritate me now.

Is it a fruit tree?
    Not that that makes much difference tbh.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you are on an allotment, having a word with someone on the committee would seem like the most obvious next step.

Comment

If it were overhanging your back garden, you'd be within your rights to cut it off. So personally I would give the committee a chance to have a word, if that doesn't work I'd leave a polite note saying that it's in the way and I will remove the branch at the end of the season when the fruit has been picked and the tree is dormant.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I was thinking that if it's a fruit tree the owner might like to have the chance of relocating it elsewhere before it was chopped back.
          That would probably need to be in the Autumn now.

Good idea about mentioning it to the committee -they are supposed to make sure pathways are kept clear and accessible aren't they?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Technicely the branch and corresponding fruit belong to the other plot holder. It could be they are a long term plotter that have caused no problems to others over a long time. They may even be on the commitee!
            So if after reasonable attempts to get something done, you could remove the offending branch but you must return it to the owner. So at least you don't have to deal with burning or carting it away.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X