Protecting Runner Beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protecting Runner Beans

I recently planted Runner Beans from seed and have transferred to Allotment, Frost is forecasted for Sunday how can I protect them

Fleece is probably you only option, unless they're still small enough to over with mini-cloches.
    You should have waited until at least mid-May, really. It's not just risk of frost; runner and french beans don't like cold nights in general. Even if it isn't cold enough to outright kill them, they tend to sulk for ages if they get too cold at night.

Comment

This warm daytime weather has lured a lot of folk into getting ahead of themselves...…...…………….me included lol.

Comment

Thanks Burnie

Comment

Hello and welcome to the vine Rhinos62

Fleece should help protect your beans and if you can rig up something around them either plastic or glass.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Welcome Rhinos62!

If you can't get hold of any fleece, use anything you do have, net curtains, newspaper wrapped and gently tied around them. Lots of people will get caught out by cold nights and the upcoming cold snap. Good luck!
            Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs! https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif
            Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result
            https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ilies/wink.gif
            Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...lies/smile.gif

Comment

I planted mine out a bit early this year and lost the lot last night. It was 1.2c in my tunnel at the lowest. I had fleece but had to make a call on protecting the stuff inside the tunnel or the beans. And even then I would not have been able to fleece the whole of the beans as I have too many. Couldn't risk losing the aubergines and all my peppers so went with the tunnel - which was fine this morning. The 80 bean plants looked really ropey, droopy and very soft. Thought they may recover but they haven't. Some are dead, some are black, some are on the ground and some have got really scorched in the sun today on account of being so weak.

I guess by tomorrow the lot will be dead. Fortunately its not too late to resow so I have done so this morning.

Comment

Peg some fleece to the teepee like a tent,gives some insulation,bottom leaves might go whiteish from damage,new growth should hopefully stay green.

Comment

Thanks all for your welcome and advice I'm a Leeds Lad 5 yrs into my allotment in Rawdon

Comment

Ps how do I add a photo to my profile?

Comment

Nice to meet you Leeds lad,hope your beans are alright,click on your name (next to notifications) then profile & then edit avatar to choose your photo...
                      Last edited by Jungle Jane; 06-05-2020, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinos62 View Post
                        Thanks all for your welcome and advice I'm a Leeds Lad 5 yrs into my allotment in Rawdon
                        You will need to contribute 10 posts or so and then photos will be activated.
                        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Hi guys thank you to you both as I'm a newbe I'll be asking for more advice

Comment

Hiya Rhinos and welcome to the Vine. Corrugated cardboard boxes offer good insulation too, as long as they don't get too wet.
                            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Thank you Mr Bones much appreciated

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X