Double Digging

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NOG View Post
    The last thing I would want to do is touch those lovely hedges.

Natural habitat for all sorts of wildlife.

(just to add a differant point of view)
    Good point, will all the work be for nothing if the trees from the golf course are going to block out the sun anyway. At the mo my plot gets full sun from 2 o'clock, just worried if keeping it as it is will form a frost pocket?

Got my beds covered with Tarpawling and cardboard, ready for digging next year. Think i'll just single dig to make sure all the weed roots are removed. Should i put the manure in the bottom of the trench or on top bearing in mind it's fresh(picking up next week). Or should i leave it to rot for a year and use some Fish blood and bone raked in just before planting?

Thanks again all

Comment

If it was me and I had the time I'd start digging now. The soil will be in a decent condition plus you'll be able to get the roots easier. Once dug the worms will do an even better job over winter. You can still cover in cardboard once dug. If you leave it until spring not only will you have the whole plot to do in a short time what if the conditions are worse? Also if you can get compost now add it as soon as you've dug. For me though you'd need a LOT of compost to create even a 2" layer over all that space, let alone 12"!! I certainatly don't have access to that volume of cheap compost to make no dig a realistic option...
      http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry Maf, I have to disagree.
        I don't dig or clear any ground until just before I plant it, for starters. Simply because nature abhors a vacuum (blah blah) so any bare ground will swiftly be colonised by weeds. There are thousands, if not millions, lying dormant in the soil, just waiting for a hint of (sun) light to germinate. You need to block out that light to stop weeds germinating.

I've learned by trial & error: last year I put a bit of really bad, weedy ground (dock, bramble, nettle, couch) to rest underneath some old fence panels and carpet ... after six months there were virtually no weed roots left. Digging it over was a piece of cake.

Save yourself some effort - cover it now, and dig over in spring.
        Last edited by Two_Sheds; 24-10-2008, 06:54 PM.
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by krazy_krok View Post
          Or should i leave it to rot for a year and use some Fish blood and bone raked in just before planting?

Thanks again all
          I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm sure the reason you don't use fresh manure, is that it burns the plants, but i'm sure if you cover cardboard in it, and leave it for a few months it will get mixed up with the soil and be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
            The last thing I would want to do is touch those lovely hedges.

Natural habitat for all sorts of wildlife.

(just to add a differant point of view)
            Good point ,but remember you might not cut back ,but the hedges won't stop growing. !
            Jock

O' wad some Poo'er
            the giftie gie us
            tae see oor'sels
            as ithers see us.......Robert Burns

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X