No announcement yet.

No carrots - Why??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All the books i have say to keep the ground moist by watering with a fine rose to stop the seeds being washed away.
    good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi
      I grow potatoes in big 50 litre tubs and when these are dug up, sieve out the compost put it back in the tubs and use to grow carrots, mainly Autumn Kings. Having found this method by trial and error I find it does deter slugs and keeps out of the way of carrot root fly. I surface sow and top with a thin layer of more sieved compost. One lot didn't germinate -during the one hot spell we had, otherwise after an initial gentle watering haven't had to do anything to them other than thin out. The carrots are wonderful, getting really long and thick now. Also can leave them in their tubs until they're ready.
      Interestingly one tub got really attacked and I wondered if it was because it was on its own, the others are in a row by the runner beans where I've left the low hanging beans as a slug sacrifice and these do seem to satisfy the little blighters (or very big, alarmingly big) blighters as they are now.
      Sue

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X