Plot Clearance

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Membrane will attract more slugs etc.,

I've just planted all my strawbs through membrane - does this mean I won't see one this year either??? (even the green ones disappeared this year)
    Last edited by Sunbeam; 01-09-2008, 06:08 AM.
    How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
      Membrane will attract more slugs etc.,

I've just planted all my strawbs through membrane - does this mean I won't see one this year either??? (even the green ones disappeared this year)

slugs will hide under anything they can find, whether it's weed sheeting, bricks, or weeds - one way or another, you're gonna get slugs

personally i use the weed sheeting as it means a lot less weeding - if i didn't use it, the slugs would be hiding under the weeds

so the choice is yours ........
      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

The slugs can't hide from my frogs!
        Last edited by bubblewrap; 01-09-2008, 03:28 PM.
        The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
        Brian Clough

Comment

Silly question, but what do you do with all the brambles and weeds once you've dug them out. Can you compost them or is there usually a large get rid of it / let it rot down heap on most sites ??

Hoping to find out tomorrow if I might get a plot. The council lady said she was going down site this morning and to call her back tomorrow. I think the plots are very overgrown and she may well have to give the plotholders notice but I am getting ever closer. Would be nice to be on before winter sets in.
          I'm new to veggies, but trying !

Comment

My site has a "dump" area that is cleared by the council once or twice a year. I'm dumping all my dock,dandelion and couch grass roots there....

If you don't have one you could take it to you local council recycling point? I'm not taking any chances trying to rot down my waste!
            My 2014 No Dig Allotment
            My 2013 No Dig Allotment
            My 2012 No Dig Allotment
            My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

On our allotment site our council provides a skip as we are not allowed a bonfire.
              Brambles will compost but ............take time to rot down.
              I would not risk composting cooch grass roots.
              Our council composts all garden waste at the local "dump"/recycling site.
              Charnwood Borough Council - Environment & Planning - Recycling
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Ours is being bagged up and taken to the tip, it's a right pain but I don't want to risk it either. On a plus point, we have a point scheme where every so many bags of green waste you take you get a free bag of council compost. No good for seeds and the like but it'll make an excellent top dressing.

The plan is that where I'm digging out turf (in the loosest sense of the word!) it will be piled up in the back corner of the plot to rot down but only after I've dug out the worst of the surface weeds.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X