Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weed Killer

Hello ,
    Just started with my new allotment to dig it over for a fresh start next season and wanted to know if there are any weed killers I can use that wont affect my veg next year but will keep weeds down this, I am putting in a lot of hard work in to get it ready but they keep rearing there ugly heads.

Many thanks
    P54jes.

Anything with glyphosate as it's active ingredient will do the trick!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

As Snadger says, glyphosate. But follow the instructions to the letter.
      Supermarkets do their own brands, they are nearly all having gardening sales at the moment too.
      It is more effective if you spray it on, rather than using a watering can, but you must not do it on a windy day, or a wet day. It can take several weeks to work as well, don't expect overnight results.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Anything Glyphospahte / Roundup touches will be killed (well, maybe not a light dash on a mature tree ...), including walking across your prize lawn after spraying the plot!

I would wait 2 weeks, then anything that is still green I would treat a second time, then dig / rotovate.

Have a look and see if you have any mares tails (weeds) because they are unlikely to be effected by Glyphosphate (or pretty much anything else except Ammonium sulphamate, which is no longer available in most formulations - Doff "Tough Weedkiller" might be still available). If so you will heed to wage a war with that week specifically
        K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Yes, glyphosphate will kill all plants; so will sodium chlorate. It is cheaper and it will have 6 months or so to decompose so it should not affect plants next spring - but get a second opinion!

A safer way is to mulch with newspaper topped with vast ammounts of rotted manure. This can be dug in next spring thus impriving the soil, killing two birds with one mulch

Comment

As everyone else has said glyphosate is good but if you mix SBK in as well you'll get the woody plants also like lavatera which we are plagued with in Portsmouth.
            Good luck and take the time to enjoy and chat and of course drink tea etc.

Comment

Originally posted by geoff View Post
              Yes, glyphosphate will kill all plants; so will sodium chlorate. It is cheaper and it will have 6 months or so to decompose so it should not affect plants next spring - but get a second opinion!

A safer way is to mulch with newspaper topped with vast ammounts of rotted manure. This can be dug in next spring thus impriving the soil, killing two birds with one mulch
              Hi geoff, Not a great fan of sodium chlorate I'm afraid as it's one of only a handful of residual weedkillers left on the market. It can take an indeterminate time to break down depending on ground conditions and weather etc
              As you say, with sodium chlorate persisting in the soil for a long time and killing anything you plant there ..............frightens me a bit to be honest I can't understand how it is still on the market! (Cheap and nasty methinks)

Alternatively, and theoretically, you could spray with glyphosate one day and plant the same area the following day.
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I've used sodium chlorate on half of my new plot as it's full of brambles etc. I realise that I can't grow anything on it for 6 months. Someone suggested that once they've died off then to clear them, cover the ground with cardboard topped with manure and leave til next spring. Is this safe to do or should I leave the manuring until after the 6 months has passed?

Comment

Originally posted by Kayt View Post
                  I've used sodium chlorate on half of my new plot as it's full of brambles etc. I realise that I can't grow anything on it for 6 months. Someone suggested that once they've died off then to clear them, cover the ground with cardboard topped with manure and leave til next spring. Is this safe to do or should I leave the manuring until after the 6 months has passed?
                  Hmmmm! Six months is an arbitary figure and depending on a lot of variables it could affect the soil for longer!
                  After the top growth is gone and BEFORE applying manure, I would do a sowing of a quick growing veg like radish to make sure soil is ok? If not, and you apply manure I would imagine it might lock up the chemical in the soil for God knows how long?because of it's capping effect!
                  Orrible stuff!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Started off my working life in the research dept. of a major chemical co. I would not use sodium chlorate. 6 months is the best you can hope for. It can take 5-10 years depending on your soil. Stick to glycophosphate.
                    History teaches us that history teaches us nothing. - Hegel

Comment

A little tip nobody thinks about unless you wear wellington boots when spraying always walk backwards you will not get any on shoes or boots also save's legs of trouser's from rotting jacob marley
                      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
                        A little tip nobody thinks about unless you wear wellington boots when spraying always walk backwards you will not get any on shoes or boots also save's legs of trouser's from rotting jacob marley
                        You could finish up 'arse over tit' though!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

...but only your tit will be covered in weedkiller!

The thing people forget is that you can clear the perennial weeds this year by spraying but you will get seedlings next year - of annuals certainly and often of the perennials too. Bummer innit? I would use glyphosate if necessary - I wouldn't use anything else - and I would still be prepared to dig and fork like the blazes to get things out. There isn't a really simple answer - or we'd all be doing it!
                          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

If anyone can find a KILLER for mares tail they would be instant millionares.

I believe they used to cultivate it in Olden days and use it to scour the cooking pots out so blame your forebearers.

Its coated with Lanolin so the weed killers dont soak in lol.

Dig, Remove and burn.Aaah the joys of gardening lol
                            Last edited by john c; 27-07-2008, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by john c View Post
                              If anyone can find a KILLER for mares tail they would be instant millionares.

I believe they used to cultivate it in Olden days and use it to scour the cooking pots out so blame your forebearers.

Its coated with Lanolin so the weed killers dont soak in lol.

Dig, Remove and burn.Aaah the joys of gardening lol
                              The local council have sprayed some along our allotment fenceline and it seems to have done the trick! No idea what they used, but I WILL find out!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X