No announcement yet.

Swede

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i believe that swedes like open space like large fields where the air can get around them.
    good Diggin, Chuffa.

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

http://chuffa.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      Marian is one of the clubroot resistant ones!
      Oh, is it? You live & learn Thank goodness, clubroot isn't something I have a problem with - one of the advantages of a lottie which was overgrown for many years

Comment

i had to pull up all my swedes,some were actually rotting,bless your life,all the top foliage,what was left of it,looked like it had the mainge,so decided was best to clear the ground,very disapionted,last year on my previouse plot they did great,all sowed in modules,it also helps beat the weeds up lol,there final placings were aprox 1foot apart,maybe best to give them more room next year.
        Last edited by lottie dolly; 08-10-2008, 08:16 PM.
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Originally posted by lottie dolly View Post
          i had to pull up all my swedes,some were actually rotting,bless your life,all the top foliage,what was left of it,looked like it had the mainge,so decided was best to clear the ground,very disapionted...............................
          Sounds like mildew which they are very prone to? If so, you can get mildew resistant swedes as well.
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by herfordshire View Post
            I have been gardening for 58 years since the age of 7 and I have never had any luck with swede they turn out to be the size of raddish. Can anyone give me some advice please.
            For me, they seem to grow better when crowded, so when I plant I make sure the seeds are closer than you would grow them, take out every second seedling and transplant to form 'another' row.
            I love growing tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
              Swedes like 'heavy ground' ie. clay soil, so if you don't have that, you have to try & mimic it.
              ....would explain why last year (grown on our heavy soil~I didn't hold out much hope!!)they did great!!Whereas this year(dedicated a row on the nicer soiled plot)I'll need to be using 3 for a decent stew!
              Maybe there's benefits to the ol' claggy heavy soil after all!!
              the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Pulled up three swedes yesterday they are small but I was thining them out to give others more room. The chap next door has huge ones not in clay soil but very fine lovely soil that I wish I could achieve.
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X