No announcement yet.

Newbie & very scared!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all just thought it would be nice to show how we have got on in our very first week as newbie allotementeers!

Here's what it looked like last Monday before we started work as you can see we had to deal with 5ft high nettles that just seem to get bigger day by day!

Here's another shot of our plot it's 75ft x 40ft and has been unloved for many years, you can just see our new 'neighbour' Ray's plot which is pretty tidy and almost 3 in 1 although there are 3 of them tending to it!

This shows you the progress we have make in a week, we have done everything by hand and I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see them myself just how big nettles roots grow there are just monsters!

This next shot shows our first bed it's 32ft x 15ft just got to dig it over a few times more and away we go.

As you can see from the pictures it's not the greatest plot on site in fact I think the guy in charge look at us and thought they're young'uns and can cope with the work involve although others have told us that the guy should have given us a far better plot as there are plenty free.

Our plot is sloping and has a couple of trees down one side that makes the soil very dry along that edge although the rest of the plot is quite moist and right down at the bottom of our plot it gets waterlogged in winter or when it rains heavy like last year so we are going to burn our stuff down there and leave it to nature after that.

Sadly the work down at the alloment it a little too much for Bob so I now have to retire my loyal friend 'The Whip' But Bob does do a fine job at clearing the tops for me and keeps me company although I'm sure he's just making sure I don't run off with the lovely guys down at the alloments! Hel.xxx.
    A cheesy grin wins many a heart!

Comment

wow, well done! I know how hard a slog it is digging up nettles (my plot had been neglected or about a decade when I got it last november so I have plenty of experience of that..) My first thought when I read about your waterlogged corner was, could you put in a small pond/ bog garden? getting a few resident frogs in and providing a water source for other bug eaters like hedgehogs would definatly help with the natural pest control
      I have a dream:
      a dream that, one day, chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Comment

hi there and well done it looks amazing! if you get nettles back though save some as it's good food for your plants. bung a load of them in water and leave to make nettle tea. it's really smelly but diluted your plants will love it.

Comment

Thanx guys.

Becca great minds think alike Bob was taking about doing just that the other day and I have to agree with you both having a pond area will indeed bring the good guys into our plot and help keep the nasty ones such as slugs etc. at bay too....well one can hope!

Maximillian I think I'll stick to getting rid of all the nettles if I can and use the comfrey to aid the plants as I'm really getting sick of the sight of nettles I can tell when their gone I will be one happy camper that's for sure! Hel.xxx.
          A cheesy grin wins many a heart!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X