No announcement yet.

parsnips yyyyyyyyyy wont they grow!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ONLY USE fresh seed this is a mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmust throw away last years seed don't even give it away you wont do any favers i have 97 out of 100 and thats no joke i even asked the nursery when the seed had been put on the shelf

Comment

sorry to upset the applecart, but i sowed about 15 seeds and all germinated and they are planted in the garden now and growing great guns, am i lucky!!!! i only want them for xmas dinner ha ha with lots of hunny!!!

I never knew their was a problem germinating them until i came on here and mine were germinated already by that time!

SS

Comment

hi guys i have had my allotment for 2 yrs and had complete sucess in parsnips both yrs and again this this two full rows of seed doing great and i think the reason is as said earlier in this thread use new seed never old or saved i also would like tothank all member of grow your own as i have used and picked up lots of usefull advice and tips from here i find this site most helpful to me and my old allotment anyway remember new seed and good luck , dragline

Comment

Personally I think it has a lot to do with variety and quality of seed source, as I've had staggeringly different results depending on which variety I've used (the worst were whatever variety Wilkinson's sell in their bargain range). If you find a variety that does well, stick to it.

Also, don't be tempted to try to sow too early. I always wait until the soil warms up (late March/April) and I usually find the seedlings appear within 2-3 weeks, if they are going to. I think later sowing lessens susceptibility to canker too.
          Last edited by ~elizabeth~; 28-05-2008, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Grandad said " dig trench, sive soil, add handfull of lime, sow mixed with sand in drill, top off with compost to stop hard capping, sprinkle lime on top, cross your fingers and wait"
            It has worked for me in the north east coast 2 years running.
            All the best to all.
            FP xxxx

Comment

Don't give up. Last year I had four goes at germinating parsnips and even though the last seeds went in about now I had the best parsnips ever!!!! Don't just sow 30 though. SOW LOTS AND BE PREPARED TO THIN. One year I even transplanted the thinnings very carefully and had a good extra row. Regards, Hot under the collar (BLOUSE NOT SHIRT.)

Comment

I put mine in the ground where i want them to grow forgot about them stood on them and hey presto parsnips poking through !!! unless its weeds !!!
                Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                and ends with backache

Comment

When I was about 10 I grew my first parsnips and sowed them really thickly,as kids do and hey presto loads of shoots.Now as an adult trying to be careful ect hardly any germinate!
                  The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Umm Parsnips

We are on the second year of our allotment and have had no problems with parsnips at all - not rubbing it in. We have the worst soil possible as the council apparently took all the top soil away a couple of years ago

I order my seed from Dobies and use the Gladiator variety. It seemed to relish in the clay, floods and everything else it threw at it last year. This year I also have a full row through. My dad though who has been gardening for the last 50 years has 1 but used T&M.

Can't be beginners luck twice!

Comment

Parsnips ........ this year (after 2 miserable parsnip free years) I planted in a bottomless tub about 2 and a half foot high. Filled a third with stones and filled with a mix of soil/garden compost and bought compost. I only sowed a pinchful of seeds so I could get a few long roots. EVERY seed has germinated so Im pleased as punch - they also didn't take that long to come through. Hope this may help.

Comment

i think the trick is to make sure you dont bury them too deep. mine seem to be growing and i only just covered them, i sowed a row a week later i had 8 up, mind you it was 4 days ago i checked them should have some more now.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X