No announcement yet.

The 30 minute allotment: A diary

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just come onto this thread, having not been around much for the past couple of weeks, and its great!! Who needs a soap when there's real life like this to involve us?!

So firstly, how was the holiday?? Secondly, hows the arm?? Lastly (for now) hows the planting??

Oh, and did you HAVE to?? Another veg site to meander around !!
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
      I've just come onto this thread, having not been around much for the past couple of weeks, and its great!! Who needs a soap when there's real life like this to involve us?!

So firstly, how was the holiday??
      Great - Cornwall really is a lovely place

Secondly, hows the arm??
      Bloody painfull. Just as I think its ok, the slightest use makes the elbow stiffen up again

Lastly (for now) hows the planting??
      Oh, and did you HAVE to?? Another veg site to meander around !!
      I am still waiting for my plants to arrive.
      The site is vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk and I had read good reviews about the quality of the plants, but it looks like the increased business has swamped them a bit
      Frank
      ....never buy a dwarf with learning difficulties - it's not big and its not clever!

Comment

fab posting! don't feel down. i didn't have the mammoth tasked you've faced with my plot but i remember this time last year feeling the same when i looked at other people's plots and now for the first time this year i'm the one getting the nice comments as it is now finally coming together. you will have brilliant veg next year. the one thing that i did in the beginning though was buy some plug plants and then at least there was something there...you might not have started them from seed but you still have to look after them to help them grow! runner beans also saved my life as they were easy and we got a huge crop.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximillian View Post
          buy some plug plants and then at least there was something there...you might not have started them from seed but you still have to look after them to help them grow! .
          I'm with Maximillian, plug plants really help with the veg envy at the beginning. having said that mine were attacked by pigeons because I didn't net them but the ones my boy planted are going great guns.

Comment

Buying in plug plants is great. It does give you a boost. But I also recommend making your own plug plants by sowing seeds in pots, cells or rootrainers at home and then planting them out when they are a good size - at least three inches. Sowing direct, in my experience is not so successful as the little plants are very vulnerable but survive better if the are planted out bigger.

Comment

Hi Effigy
              A great thread. I'm just down the road in S-o-T and in a similar position so I am following your 'story' with interest. Also - good plan for rotation. Take care.

Comment

Hi Effigy,

Well done you, I am reading your story with interest, I have two plots on an allotment, it is hard work, but I love it. Hope your arm is better. You can still plant carrots, beetroot, etc. also I have started some winter cauli and cabbage, will be ready next spring.
                Keep your plot covered through the winter, it will help a lot.

Liz

Comment

Hi Effigy, I'm in Stafford too and just (a month ago) taken on a new allotment, so I'm really interested in what you're doing on yours. I'm retired now though so I do get a bit more time to "do stuff" even if it's just having a sit down watching the weeds grow
                  I started loads of stuff off at home on 18th June, peas, broccoli, pumpkins, french climbing beans. These have really shot up so quick, probably 'cos of all the rain and warm weather, so they're now planted out on the lottie and looking good. I also had lots of veg seedlings given to me from Stafford Freecycle (have you tried that yet?)
                  Keep on keeping us posted and I hope the aches and pains aren't getting too bad
                  My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X