No announcement yet.

comfrey

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I appear to have two kinds of comfrey in my patch. Some are short with purple flowers, others are taller with whitish flowers. Both are a huge hit with bees, i watch them for hours, the clump is alive with them, its wonderful. I know some are mean't to be Bocking (well they all were), question is which ones?

Comment

I'm in the same boat Poozie (long time, no see, by the way How are you?) I have both types, but the bees aren't bothered, they like 'em all! I just leave them to it, any that spring up outside their 'allotted space' get weeded out

Comment

I definitely have Bocking 14 (I've had it for years, it's never seeded anywhere)
        The flowers are purple (although I don't let them all flower, as the plants are cropped for the compost heap)
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
          I'm in the same boat Poozie (long time, no see, by the way How are you?) I have both types, but the bees aren't bothered, they like 'em all! I just leave them to it, any that spring up outside their 'allotted space' get weeded out

I'm doing ok thanks Sarzwix. Had to direct my husband with instructions for allotment from my hospital bed last year, seemed to be there all year (I have cystic fibrosis and am awaiting a lung transplant). However i'm stronger this year, and despite our allotment being a bit of a mess last year everyone was really supportive, and the upside of it is my hubby is now really keen on it and enjoys it.

This year is much better and we have loads growing. Its really therapeutic for me, I have to forward plan so don't find myself getting drawn into the negative thinking, that many of my fellow sufferers do. And the gentle weeding that I do helps with my fitness. All good.

Comment

Hi all on our new allotment I was really pleased to find I had some comfrey saved me spending our pennies on buying some in!

Now I know it has massive roots but as it's in a funny place on the site would I be able to remove it with the help of Mr.Pickaxe and replant it further down in a boggy part of our plot? Hel.xxx.
            A cheesy grin wins many a heart!

Comment

If anyone wants any, and fancies a drive (as none of you live near me!) I have tons of the stuff!!! I have tried hard not to dig it up, as I know it is beneficial, but plan to chop at least one up for the compost bin and would like to move it to a better place for me.
              I may even make plant food with it this summer holiday.
              It certainly is a bee magnet, love the way the buzz changes when they are deep in the flowers.
              Wonder if I should offer any on freeshare?
              http://365daysinthegarden2011.blogspot.com/

url]http://clairescraftandgarden.blogspot.com/[/url]

Comment

I got some of the bocking comfrey several years ago and it's fantastic.I put it at the bottom of the trenches when I put the seed potatoes in,just put leaves around all the veg as a mulch,get great results.I haven't made the liquid fertiliser out of it,have always intended to.

Comment

I inherited a bed of comfrey with my new allotment this year - yes the bees love it and yes I'm sure its great compost but it gets EVERYWHERE!!!! I'm sick and tired of digging it up from absolutely everywhere on my lottie - how on earth do you control the stuff??!
                  Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Originally posted by moggssue View Post
                    I inherited a bed of comfrey with my new allotment this year - yes the bees love it and yes I'm sure its great compost but it gets EVERYWHERE!!!! I'm sick and tired of digging it up from absolutely everywhere on my lottie - how on earth do you control the stuff??!
                    If it's not the bocking 14 stuff, which it can't be as the seeds are sterile, I would imagine using it for compost/tea will give you five crops a year and as long as you dont let it flower and set seed it should be stopped in it's tracks!
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X