collecting rainwater

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collecting rainwater

Does anyone know if it's Ok to collect rainwater from an asbestos roof to use on my veg plot? The plot is behind my garage and is a long way from any other source of water. It's a new plot and is very thirsty!!

I do freya and nothing has dropped down dead yet
    www.poultrychat.com

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply. I'm off to the garden centre to buy the biggest water butt I can find!!

Comment

Hey Freya,

Check out your local council first. Most councils offer Water butts and compost bins at a reduced rate.

Comment

does anyone know how suitable rainwater is for fruit and veg if it is left standing too long?

My water butts are getting plenty of use at the moment due to the dry weather but when its wetter the water can be in the butt for a long time without being used (if it's raining I don't need to water anything! ). Should I empty them every so often (how often?) and let them refill with fresh rainwater?

Comment

I use green rainwater if that's all I have to water fruit and veggies - I only empty the butts if rain is absolutely guaranteed so I can be sure they will be refilled
            www.poultrychat.com

Comment

If the water in the butt hasn't been used for months and I don't like the look of it or it smells then we tip it out. But we have only done that once and that water was tipped onto the allotment.
              [

Comment

Stirring the water in the butt regularly with a stick stops it from turning murky. You can also get a mix to put in water butts to stop slime forming.

Comment

You can also get a mix to put in water butts to stop slime forming.
                  Is that suitable for use with fruit and veg? (if I wanted fruit and veg doused in checmicals I would go to the supermarket...)

Comment

If any help to anyone the best place i have found to get water butts is southwest water based in Exeter. Typical looking for the info and can't find it to give!!! I think tou could buy water butts for around £10-£15 and they also had water diverter kits for under a £10. Hope this helps or contact your local water company ( We pay them enough) !!!!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X