Compost - Burn

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compost - Burn

I have always composted my weeds but now I don't know if I would be better burning them to stop them reseeding in the compost...any views?
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

We never compost weeds. We can have fires at our allotments so we keep the weeds in a pile until there are enough and they have dried out and then set fire to them.
    [

Comment

Can you then use the ash from the burning?
      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Hello Nog, I think the answer to your question about composting the weeds is it depends on how you are doing it. If you are using a bin and hoping to have the compost as quickly as possible I wouldn't put the weeds in. When you come to use it the seeds will still be viable. On the other hand if you have plenty of space and compost heaps which are out of sight you can put anything on - weeds, grass cuttings, hedge trimmings, leaves, branches prunings or whatever. I have several heaps like that. I don't "garden" them but just let nature take its course. It can take a few years for everything to break down but I still get good compost and no problem with the weeds. It's just which heap is ready this year. I also have a bin in which I only put kitchen peelings and the like and that works well. So really it depends on how much suitable space you have and how quickly you need the compost.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X