Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper and slugs

Hi all
    Quick question. Would a copper ring around the base of any plants i have prevent the slugs/snails getting to the leaves? Seem to remember reading it somewhere but not sure

Mant thanks

Martin

They did an experiment on the TV about this the other year and poved it didnt work.
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

There is another grape elsewhere on the 'Vine who has put copper bands round their raised beds and have promised to let us know how successful it is - can't remember either the grape of the thread title though . Speaking for myself, I think I would find this method cost prohibitive.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I also read somewhere else on the vine about this and rather than go and buy copper rings I put pennies around my sprouts. I think they're pre-92 as apparently they have a higher copper content. My OH thinks I'm mad but I do seem to have had less slug damage - could be the change in weather though, I suppose?

Comment

The pennies definately work.Used them around all my brassicas this year.Some of mine were post-92 and they still worked!

Comment

You are beeter off flogging them to the scrap man they are worth 3p for the copper
            My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

I stripped back some copper wire and ran that around the tops of my pots and planters - I've definitely seen a reduction in slug damage compared to when I had my seedlings in the ground; but whether that is due to the copper or my slugs being too lazy to climb, I couldn't say!
              Last edited by Sweet_Pea_Pod; 18-06-2006, 01:25 PM.

Comment

have had some success with the copper. had a bit of tube left over from when i fitted my central heating so it didnt cost me any extra and it can be used year after year

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X