No announcement yet.

has your lottie ever been vandalised?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We get the odd vandalisim on the site, paslocks being broken etc.......veges being stolen but we knew who was doing it. We have a community support officer who is pretty okay.
    Last year our 2 rotovators were stolen out of communal cabin...$$**&& knew they were there.......never found them.
    Since then - nothing.
    Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

since june/july last year when i took my plot and now second plot on the only trouble i have had a brandnew wheel barrow go missing and that is it!

Our site has 6 foot fence with barbed wire all around it as well as heavy locking gates. There are assholes hat cut into the fence with bolt cutters and break into sheds and vandilise things but (touch wood) i haven't been suject to it yet.
      All vehicles now running 100% biodiesel...
      For a cleaner, greener future!

Comment

hi,
        i am new to lotties and after loads of hard work on first one in jan kids got over fence and smashed the glass in my late dads greenhouse we were putting up on it. needless to say i was heartbroken and had to give it up coz was gutted but took another over shortly afterwards omewhere closer to home. was told afterwards by council guy the first site was prone to mindless vandalism (could have told me that before offering plot).
        my new one had the glass taken out of the existing homemade greenhouse after two weeks of me getting it by another allotment holder!!!! he had asked me if i was gonna use it and i said yes and then he took the glass anyway telling the secretary he had been given permisssion. I stodd firm and didnt give in and have now turned the framework left into a straswberry cage with neting over. our lotties very occasionally have kids who think its fun to break off the locks on sheds in the summer hols but dont take anything coz the tools arent worth nicking to sell on for easy cash.
        as the others say best not to take treasured tools down there. have left my old fork in my compost bin too.lol
        try freecycle to see if anyone has some old tools you can afford to look in case.

joolz x

Comment

I set up a greenhouse on my allotment about 18 months ago and soon after had a about 5 panes broken by stone throwers from the nearby roadside. A storm then was able to blow more than 10 more out so I was devastated. From time to time the stone throwing occurs and I lose the odd panes but I have made reports to the police each time so they know what is happening. I would like to think that they are making patrols with us allotmenteers in mind.
          I have really been so fortunate that no theft has occurred especially when the GH is open after damage has occurred. The most valuable gardening items I always leave in my car to be truthful. Thieving of the produce crosses my mind but so far so good. We have houses on three sides so I am sure that helps (although the stones come from those sides sometimes lol).
          There is only so much one can do and I am sorry to hear of all of your misfortunes but don't let it get to you if at all possible.

Comment

I had my shed trashed last year and eight water barrels stolen,they also broke glass in greenhouse and damaged some plants, I done lock the shed now, someone has been in again this year but nothing has been taken but they walked over my onions, I have a large fence around the allotment and can not see where they get in.

Comment

Yes i had my shed lock smashed off and had a rotavator robbed but i had to lol as the engine had blown and they would have had to carry it over 3 more plots then cart it over a 8 foot fence just to find out it didnt work.lol
              Last edited by bigal123_123; 15-04-2008, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Our allotments have been vandalised more times than I can remember. A few week ago, seven allotments were broken into in one night. We`ve had pigeon lofts burnt down, sheds burnt down, countless greenhouse glass broken, genorators stolen and somebody broke into one of the lads sheds and burnt all of the tail feathers off his budgies. I`m lucky. My allotment is right outside my house and I have my shed alarmed.

Comment

Lucky so far.

I have only had a lottie since February. Other plot holders say there is very little vandalism or theft from the site. The site has no fence and no gate, anyone can easily access it. Unfortunately we are not allowed sheds on the site (makes dodging a shower very difficult). To hide my tools I have dug a hole, over which I have put a Dalek type compost bin (the hole is needed so that I can fit in the rake and hoe). Once the tools are in I put a piece of chicken wire over them and cover this with hay, grass and leaves. Anyone lifting the lid just sees a full compost bin.
                  It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Great idea for hiding your tools.
                    I had my allotment for two years before my shed was broken into, someone left me a gift in the form of a human poo :-( they also stole my tools so I was forced to hide the new ones around the plot. This proved to be a problem for me because I would forget where I put them and spent most of my time looking for them!. I gave the plot up in the end and eventually bought a house with a huge garden and now have my own plot with green house and chickens - no problems so far!

Comment

Just taken on a new plot in a virgin allotment. We have a no glass rule, which seems ominous. No vandalism yet, but as lottie only opened on 5th April, theres nowt to vandalise as yet! I think its terrible what these mindless idiots get up to, if only they realised what fools they were.
                      A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
                      There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Well as Spring is progressing nicely, it will be time to bring home the good tools and leave the grotty ones in the shed. The reason and I know it's only pure coincindence, is that travellers start moving into the area for the summer.

I don't know how they out up with such a life, seems the locals always dump rubbish on the sites of these people who have come to enrich our lives.
                        I am certain that the day my boat comes in, I'll be at the airport.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X