No announcement yet.

'Permanent' bean supports?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow french climbers on it, I'll try and work out how to out up a pic...........hang on I may be some time!!
    There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments.

Comment

Permenant bean beds.

My first reply and entry onto a thread. I have been growing runner beans in the same bed for at least seven years now. As far as I am aware the previous owner of 'The Cottage' grew her runner beans in the same place. I just add a good layer of compost each year and have never had any problems getting a good crop.

In order to atract the polinators I also plant sweet peas in with the runners. Makes for a great display.
      It is the doom of man, that they forget.

Comment

Ok here goes firt try photo uploading..............
        Last edited by Janna; 18-04-2008, 02:56 PM. Reason: photo dissapeared

Comment

Wow it worked! Yay!
          As you can see I'm more of a with nature than against it gardener so no hints about the weeding please!!
          One bean tunnel, here's a closeup
          Trying again
          Last edited by Janna; 18-04-2008, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Hi all, I'm reading this thread with interest as I've put my bean cane structure in a place on my plot that I'm really happy with. I had been trying to work out where I'd be able to move it to so that it wouldn't shade my other veg next year as my plot runs East to West (I think...the sun comes up at one end and sets at the other!). I'm definately going to add a more permanent structure and keep it in the same place! It also nicely divides my plot from the new soon-to-be communal area as my allotments don't any sort of fencing between the plots.

Janna, I really love your arch, I think I'll try it with my sweetpeas, or perhaps squashes!
            http://potterspatch.blogspot.com/

Comment

Janna, your pics say they've been moved or deleted.

Comment

Janna - I was really looking forward to seeing your bean tunnel - can you try to post some piccies again??!
                Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Great idea.. will try a bean tunnel this year..
                  Fortunately I have a few cut down branches...
                  Last edited by Madasafish; 15-04-2008, 02:41 PM.

Comment

I'm a bit confused, are my pics there or not, on my pc they show as last post on page one and first post on page two, can you see them now moggssue, and clay garden?

Comment

I cant see them. They may be marked private in your photobucket maybe. Could try imageshack, you dont need to sign up there either. Just post the link to it (if thats allowed here).

Comment

Here is what i see
                        http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...eenshotqe3.png

Comment

Janna - there's a white square in both your posts supposedly containing the pictures and a message inside the square saying pictures are missing or have been deleted ?? Not sure whats going on??
                          Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Hi Janna, I can see the first image, but not the second.
                            http://potterspatch.blogspot.com/

Comment

This year I am going to try using an old metal high-rise bunk bed as a frame for my beans. At the moment I am not sure how it is going to work. The base is surrounded by a 1 foot wooden raised bed type frame. I shall fill this with compost and am considering growing my courgettes inside. I am thinking of digging a trench around three of the sides (not the south side so the courgettes get some light)and then using 8 foot canes at an angle tied to the bed frame. It is all a bit of an experiment but my soil is not great - chalky and it has been hard to get bean frames to stay up all summer and I am hoping this will be a solution. Also a good way of recycling an old bed !

Comment

Just taken on a new lottie and its got permanent poles on site. will make sure they are well fed and go for it. Seems to work for everyone else

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X