how to cut back a huge Conifer?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to cut back a huge Conifer?

Here's my problem. My new allotment is lovely. Until 2pm that is, when the sun goes behind this massive pair of dense conifers at the end of someone's garden, and then my plot is in total dark shade. They could be cut in half and still be too tall!

How on earth could i convince the householder to cut them to a reasonable height?

Anyone know how much a tree surgeon would charge?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Hi

I have a similar problem at my house - My neighbours (who are across one other garden and then a road) have a row of conifers. Are they Landioli (not sure if that is the correct spelling) If they are \I have been told it is illegal to have them grow over a certain height, and the householder can be forced to cut them down or remove them.

Have not got round to ring the local council yet to find out this is true, someone on here is bound to know though, they are a really knowledgeable lot.

Comment

Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2003, Part 6 is what you want to quote to the council. They must then investigate to see if the leylandii do pose a social problem and have the authority to order the owner to cut them down or remove them.
      Option 2 is 1/4 pound of semtex and a gallon of diesel.
      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Leylandii are susceptible to sodium chlorate at the roots.

Comment

My friend had a similar problem when she moved to a new house recently. The price she was quoted by a proper tree sugeon was £1000 and she ended up paying a 'man with a chainsaw' £500.

Would the anti social stuff still apply when they're shading a lottie, not a residential property? I hope so.
          I was feeling part of the scenery
          I walked right out of the machinery
          My heart going boom boom boom
          "Hey" he said "Grab your things
          I've come to take you home."

Comment

i had the same problem with a huge conifer until last year then old lady's son came and cut it down, it took him two whole days. he said he kept thinking the wind would blow it over and it could be dangerous, if you tell the people who's tree it is how you have a friend that had a tree just like the one in question until the wind blew it over and caused £1000's damage. plant the seed if you know what i mean....
            Last edited by wayne; 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM.

Comment

There is now a law regarding high tree/fences, but I'm not sure if it only applies to residential properties. Could be worth contacting the council (or maybe not if your Council is like my Council - (maybe Google would be more informative) - and then when you have the facts you can contact the Council.

Comment

Don't know if all council's work like this but my Council(B'ham) actually charge you(i think it is circa £300) to make a formal complaint using this legislation. They also insist you must have been through mediation with the neighbour first.
                I'm pretty sure this cost is partly to deter people making complaints in the first place,but i may just be a cynic!!
                Spiderpig

Comment

I really don't know what your rights are here - simply because you are a tenant, and it's not a residential property. I'd talk to the owners of the trees, they may be keen to get rid of them anyway and just need a push in the right direction.

As they are conifers I wouldn't bother with a tree surgeon personally - just figure out how to get up there with a rope and a bow saw! Best do it now, so you can pull the trees onto your vacant (I presume?) plot instead of into their garden.

Here's a link to a government 'high hedges' site - might be useful?

An overview on high hedges - Planning, building and the environment - Communities and Local Government
                  Resistance is fertile

Comment

Update: someone has started hacking branches off the dratted conifers. We know 'cos they've chucked the bits over the fence onto our allotments
                    We chucked 'em back

Comment

You seem to get a lot of that sort of behaviour! I think you've found the answer though
                      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Find out when they go on holiday and call round in the dark with a few copper nails and knock e'm in the tree will surely die who what have i said !!! jacob
                        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
                        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

When we moved into our house 4 years ago,i had a very mature sycamore tree that was far too close to the house so i took the plunge and paid a "tree surgeon/man with chain saw" £200 to cut it down and remove it. I've got to say that if you've never seen these guys at work,it is something to behold.Watching them work at speed and hanging from branches with such dangerous tools was absolutely fascinating......in my view he should have charged me far more than he did!! These guys definately earn their money in my view.
                          Spiderpig

Comment

The gods have smiled on us. Went up lottie today, and somebody has lopped half the conifers off - vertically ! The tree fellers/fellas thought it would be ok to leave all the prunings on the allotments, but we soon put them right on that.
                            It's fantastic, so much more light, and NO PIGEONS! There were about 20 roosting in the branches.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X