Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Encouragement for all lottie newbies, like me...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brilliant minty!
    no pics of you crying or throwing things tho! tee hee.
    you should be proud.
    Yo an' Bob
    Walk lightly on the earth
    take only what you need
    give all you can
    and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

I don't have any piccies, but it was a similar jungle to Minty's "before" last February. And hadn't been worked in a good few years (no one knew how long but it was totally infested with couch grass).

Last year I cheated (both as it was late and I was doing exams) - we dug as much as we could but we bought in a lot of the plants rather than raising seedlings (well I tried a few tomatoes but they died). So we got a LOAD of red and yellow onions from sets, garlic, 5 of 6 cauli plants made nice heads, cabbage and lots of brocolli (still eating that from the freezer). I also threw in some seed and got lettuce, spring onions, a fair few peas and mange tout, and lots of new potatoes (1st earlies only).

We also bought in some winter brassicas, and are expecting to start cutting cabbages this weekend, the cauli are looking ok for a few weeks time, and the purple and white sprouting brocolli should be coming good soon too.

This winter, we manage to clear the top growth and cover the remainder of the plot, and should get most of it dug over for planting in late spring. The 1st early spuds area is done, there are broad beans, peas and lettuces coming up, and we overwintered some onions too (more going in this weekend). We should get a lot more out of it this year too - but I am just so happy that we actually were able to feed ourselves a few dinners last year and enjoy all the weather and peace up there last year!!

Jungles are fine, as long as you don't kill yourself trying to clear it all and then get nothing planted - clear a bit, plant it, then clear some more is the best approach.
      Last edited by Winged one; 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Great pics and encouragement Minty and Sarzw - even tho my new plot isnt as bad as either of yours was to start with, I still take inspiration from you both that I can make it look like a 'real' lottie!!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Thanks Minty and Sarah for the pictures. I just got my allotment at the end of February and started to attempt clear it. It is a 10 rod plot that looks similar to your before photos but with brambles, so it is good to see what can be achieved. The brambles are so long that they are rooted at both ends. It seems like madness to tackle it on my own but even though it is daunting, it makes me happy to know I can go there.

Comment

It *is* very hard work, and sometimes the sore back, arms and legs make you lose the enthusiasm for it. I've only had my plot 4 weeks, and I've still only manage to dig less than 1/4 of it. And that was after it was rotovated. Just getting rid of chopped up weed roots and humungous stones seems to eat up all the time.

Still next week or over Easter, some onions and spuds will be going on so at least all the toil will lead up to some pleasure in planting stuff out. And tne the subsequent visits to clear the soil will be accompanied by some plant tending.

Comment

Minty and Sarzwix

Well done and yes its an inspiration, I cant wait to get my plot, damm waiting list

Rooster
              "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

Great work Minty. I think before and after pics are really inspirational.
                All at once I hear your voice
                And time just slips away
                Bonnie Raitt

Comment

Hi rooster,
                  try and go for a private plot if you can find one,
                  i was on council waiting list for over a year but spoke to a friend at work, who's husband got me one within the week!!!!
                  If all else fails, have a look around your local sites for neglected ones and ring up about them.
                  I have one next to me which i have my eye on, the people went once in august, and not since.... such a shame.

Comment

Wow, great piccies. I've just put my name down for a lottie, can't wait. In the meantime I'm growing stuff in raised beds in my garden. Will be keeping an eye in here to get some tips and most of all inspiration

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X