No announcement yet.

I have a big vegetable problem...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You say you aren't allowed a shed, which is a b*gger, but you can still store some basic tools there by digging a miniature 'grave' about 5 foot by 2 foot wide and a foot deep. Wrap your tools in an oily sack and lay a wooden door over the top. Vandals aren't going to lift an old door looking for tools and no one will be any the wiser.
    Better still get the door and the frame and then you can just lift the trapdoor up on its hinges.
    I have used a potato clamp on my allotment for the first time this year and can thouroughly recommend it! It's still half full with tatties which will hopefully last me until the earlies start cropping!
    Carrots are grown under enviromesh which stays on 52 weeks of the year and carrots are just pulled as required. No carrot fly problems and no storage problems either, pull em and eat em!
    Generally try and stay clear of F1 brassicas which are all ready on the same day but one F1 variety I've had good results with is the clubroot resitant Kilaxy/Kilaton cabbage which tastes nice and is still standing in my allotment now and has been cropping since September!
    Onions can be hung up in ornamental strings similar to garlic.
    Ideally, grow your herbs at home next to your kitchen door and your fruit veg and flowers at the allotment!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

thanks for the hint about tool storage Snadge. i was thinking about a tool store and maybe knocking one up out of old pallets and making it look suspiciously like the steaming compost bins that are also made from old pallets. i like the trap door idea.

i will investigate enviromesh as well. sounds good.

we were planning to steer clear of F1s anyway and go for "heritage" crops and other, tougher semi-wild varieties

oooh dear... all this talk of food is making me feel hungry and it's not even 10:00 yet!!

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
      You say you aren't allowed a shed, which is a b*gger, but you can still store some basic tools there by digging a miniature 'grave' about 5 foot by 2 foot wide and a foot deep. Wrap your tools in an oily sack and lay a wooden door over the top. Vandals aren't going to lift an old door looking for tools and no one will be any the wiser.
      Better still get the door and the frame and then you can just lift the trapdoor up on its hinges.
      I have used a potato clamp on my allotment for the first time this year and can thouroughly recommend it! It's still half full with tatties which will hopefully last me until the earlies start cropping!
      Carrots are grown under enviromesh which stays on 52 weeks of the year and carrots are just pulled as required. No carrot fly problems and no storage problems either, pull em and eat em!
      Generally try and stay clear of F1 brassicas which are all ready on the same day but one F1 variety I've had good results with is the clubroot resitant Kilaxy/Kilaton cabbage which tastes nice and is still standing in my allotment now and has been cropping since September!
      Onions can be hung up in ornamental strings similar to garlic.
      Ideally, grow your herbs at home next to your kitchen door and your fruit veg and flowers at the allotment!
      Vegetable Rights And Peace!

Comment

Storm
        I live in a one bedroomed flat and you can't get much smaller than that and I have fruit and veg stored everywhere. This year it was squash hanging up from the wardrobe doors in the bedroom, marrows on a shelf in the loo and the potatoes are chitting there now. Chillis and garlic hanging up from picture frames in the hall, bags of potatoes to keep falling over when you came in the front door and more to trip over in the bathroom. Put hooks in the hall wall to hang bunches of onions from. I've got three freezers which means I can't use the central heating as they're in front of radiators so a lot gets stored in there, I dry a lot of bulky stuff like apples and these sit on my bookshelves along with pickles, chutneys and jams - had to put the books into storage to make way for my precious produce...
        Now it's propagators and growing seeds everywhere. Luckily there's only me to worry about and put up with the inconvenience.
        But surprising what you can fit in
        Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
          Storm
          I live in a one bedroomed flat and you can't get much smaller than that and I have fruit and veg stored everywhere. This year it was squash hanging up from the wardrobe doors in the bedroom, marrows on a shelf in the loo and the potatoes are chitting there now. Chillis and garlic hanging up from picture frames in the hall, bags of potatoes to keep falling over when you came in the front door and more to trip over in the bathroom. Put hooks in the hall wall to hang bunches of onions from. I've got three freezers which means I can't use the central heating as they're in front of radiators so a lot gets stored in there, I dry a lot of bulky stuff like apples and these sit on my bookshelves along with pickles, chutneys and jams - had to put the books into storage to make way for my precious produce...
          Now it's propagators and growing seeds everywhere. Luckily there's only me to worry about and put up with the inconvenience.
          But surprising what you can fit in
          Sue
          Yes Sue, but which part do you actually live in!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadger
            I just pick my way round the produce and the propagators, deep breath in the hall when I try to squeeze by to get to and from the front door....you have to get the movement just right in the hall - duck to avoid the garlic and dried lavender and swerve to avoid the potato sacks or else it all goes ar*e over tip...
            Sue

Comment

Crikey Sue, you're hardcore!!!
              Well done!

Comment

Hi Storm.

We don't store anything here, we sow most things every [feasible] month and stick fairly rigidly to crop rotation...sometimes it means that things go over; sometimes things don't work out - but apart from spuds and onions [which I couldn't grow enough of last year due to blight and space], we don't buy veg through the year [apart from the odd piece of broccoli for the OH's daughter - it's the only veg she wolfs down and there are a few weeks when we don't have enough].

What we have learnt is to eat what is seasonal; to be very tight with space and most of our ground has something on it 365 days of the year. I have missed carrots as my last sowing that should have been coming out jan to now was all carrot-flied; I threw the remains out today. Lesson learnt!!!

It can be done though...and I grow mainly heritage now - just using up/giving away the last of the original seeds I bought when i first started and then it will be heritage all the way.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X