Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing the shed to the ground!!!!

Hi everyone

Just taken over a plot that is in fairly good condtion as it was worked on early last year. There was no shed on the plot and as my house is 1 mile away my lovely hubby has got me a shed for my 30th!! We were intending to use old paving slabs as a base but my hubby just can't work out the best way to secure the shed to the ground as the site is pretty windy. Any ideas gratefully accepted..

Thanks

Hi, i would attach a metal plate to each bottom side of the shed wall and bolt it to the slabs with rawl plugs and solid bolts. That should do it. Minty X
    " If it tastes like chicken THEN EAT CHICKEN " :- Kermit The Frog

http://mohicans-allotment.blogspot.com/

Comment

To make it more secure, make sure the bolts can only be got at from inside the shed.
      To see a world in a grain of sand
      And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

my shed at the plot is just on s/h paving slabs but not weighted down with anything other than all the very useful stuff in it, it hasnt budged yet!!
        The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

you could always get a square plate of steel say 1' square and drill a hole through the centre and put some threaded bar through it and secure with nuts one end then bury this end in a hole of about 1' deep and then bolt the shed to the spare end, this can also be used as an ground anchor for stabilizing pea / bean canes at the ends like guide rope on a tent.
          you can also use a roofing slate with a lengh of rope attached and bury the same way just make sure it's flat in the hole , you will be suprised how strong this fixing will be .
          ---) CARL (----
          ILFRACOMBE
          NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

use some of the slabs on the inside of the shed, the base of mine is paved throughout, our plots are near a river and have flooded in the past so not taking any chances

others on our site have used fence posts in each corner, about a foot high, the sheds are then fixed to the posts, looks like they are on stilts, plus added bonus of a bit of storage under them as well.
            Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
            Bob Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Mum View Post
              my shed at the plot is just on s/h paving slabs but not weighted down with anything other than all the very useful stuff in it, it hasnt budged yet!!
              Same here & mine's been there two & a half years survived 70 mph winds.
              You can even see my shed on the vine map!
              The river Trent is lovely, I know because I have walked on it for 18 years.
              Brian Clough

Comment

Mine (pictured) is just on breeze blocks - not bolted to anything. It is fairly heavy by itself, and with my chair, bookcase, chest of drawers, tools etc inside it ain't going nowhere!
                Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-02-2008, 06:13 PM.
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I had thought it might be to stop someone coming along and either nicking the shed, or lifting the shed and nicking the contents?
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas will give Hubby something to work on this weekend!! We are lucky that the site is pretty secure but some people will take anything these days!!

Comment

I always dig a trench and drop a lenght of pipe in it, anything that I can get my hands on, (Clay iron). then run a chain through it and up through the floor then depending on what I have line the floor with ply, or metal with the chain coming through. You can weld the or bolt the chain to the floor That way the pipe acts as a ground achor and you can secure things to the chain.

Then get at least 8 L shaped brackets and screw the walls to the floor and the roof to the walls.
                      My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Angle Iron, either inside or outside the shed, dig about two or three foot deep fence post sized hole, place shed in position, place angle iron in hole, attach to shed using carriage bolts (smooth head outside shed), then fill hole in ground with a bag or two of postcrete.

If you do two opposite corners it will be adequately secured, all four corners will be immovable. About a foot of angle iron above ground securely bolted to the shed frame is good, but you could size the angle iron to reach up to the base of the roof, thus armour plating the corner against barrows etc.

If you don't have angle iron, which is available from any decent fencing supplier, then old dexion does the job, but not as "hard".
                        Always thank people who have helped you immediately, as they may not be around to thank later.
                        Visit my blog at http://podsplot.blogspot.com/ - Updated 18th October 2009
                        I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/

Comment

In the past I've used a rawl bolt, looks like a 6" rawl plug and screw, drilled through shed floor into paving slab underneath, hammered into slab and tightened up.
                          Also seen a post concreted into each corner of shed and bolted into shed.
                          I just fill mine full of junk, including a couple of large tubs of blood & bonemeal and fertilizer. Only thing is I can't get in it now!

Comment

Originally posted by ratglass View Post
                            Hi everyone

Just taken over a plot that is in fairly good condtion as it was worked on early last year. There was no shed on the plot and as my house is 1 mile away my lovely hubby has got me a shed for my 30th!! We were intending to use old paving slabs as a base but my hubby just can't work out the best way to secure the shed to the ground as the site is pretty windy. Any ideas gratefully accepted..

Thanks

Hi, Ive got the same problem and would be grateful for any advice.
                            Thanks. Barry

Comment

When we put the shed on our site last autumn we covered the ground first with weed control fabric bigger than the area needed then put concrete blocks and wood to stand the shed on. The shed went up and we pulled the fabric up to the bottom of the shed and fixed long planks that way nothing can crawl under the shed. In side OH layed planks of timber to reinforce the floor, he then made me a shelf with slated wood as a table along the side with the window as this faces my lottie, he made a frame and covered this with mdf to make a table top (the same height as my kitchen worktop at home ) above this he attached wood panels to fix shelves to and along the third side he put shelves and hooks to hang things from. With all the weight my shed aint going nowhere.
                              Gardening ..... begins with daybreak
                              and ends with backache

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X