Bigger job than I thought :-(

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't give up hope!!

I know it's easier said than done but an allotment is a lot more hard work than I had imagined it would be. I started in January with a 125 sq metre bramble patch and I have to say that if I hadn't taken on a plot with my friend, Tim, it would have been so much more laborious. I don't think that I would have cleared even a quarter of the plot had both of us not been working on it I have set up a website, if anyone is interested, from the beginning of the year with our plot until April. We've even got some video clips from our plot that we filmed whilst clearing it and planting our very first vegetables. I try to keep it as up to date as possible. I think it shows that although it's a lot of hard work it can also be very rewarding. Don't give up hope!!

http://www.weeditandreap.co.uk

Comment

Nice web site Luke and well done with all the work you have put it. Look forward to seeing your allotment as it goes along!

Comment

Gosh Luke,are you sure pics are of same allotment.I'm really impressed.Will definatley check out your web site again.You've both worked really hard by the look of things.I wish some of the plot holders by us would take a leaf out of your book!

Comment

Luke, welcome to the vine. Cool web site. Your hard work shows what can be achieved. I garden in Cardiff too but don't have an allotment.

Comment

Hi Luke and welcome to the 'vine. Great site andyou have both achieved a hell of a lot since you started - will deffo be visiting your site on a regular basis.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hello Luke, welcome to the Vine. Loved looking at your site and think what you have acomplished is wonderful. I'm sure it's an inspiration to those starting out. Do keep us posted with progress. I'm sure you have a lot to say that would help all of us. Happy gardening.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Hi Luke, well done. I did the same, my plot was just grass and weeds. I roped my parents into helping as I work full time and could only get there are weekends. My parents are retired and love their fruit and veg, so they were more than happy to help (and do most of the hard work!!!) we had to compromise on what we were growing bu it's working really well now, will try and get some pics up soon!

Comment

Hi mjb,

Consider if you want to go down the organic or chemical route.
                  I have dug half my plot into three beds, one at a time, starting in Jan and the last bed dug about 5 weeks ago. The first two were hand weeded from the couch grass, nettles, docks & brambles. I have kept a patch of nettles. From these two, despite handweeding more than three times before planting spuds, I have loads & loads of couch grass & brambles returning.

The third bed was chemical "round up"ed and I have much, much less of a weed problem. Wish I had done it like that to start with! I have more annual weeds coming up, which after acres of couch grass is easy to deal with. I am putting black butyl liner over the uncultivated part to keep the weeds suppressed as I'm beginning to be overrun again.

I believe that one application of glycophate doesn't mean you can't grow organically thereafter. It will save you a lot of work. But the other advice posted here is great too. Just take it one step at a time and keep going to the site as regularly as you can.

I now have alot of field geranium weeds coming up. Is this invasive? As opposed to other weeds, it is attractive.
                  Last edited by Jayneylass; 09-06-2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Hi Luke that's a really inspiring website! I thought my neglected plot which hadn't been touched for 7 years was bad, with brambles and bindweed all over. I am now on my third year with it and have cleared about 90% of the land which is spread over three terraces and have had some great crops so far. It's definately worth persevering and trying out what works best for you so don't give up MBJ, you will get so much satisfaction from it in the long-term.
                    PS Don't forget to take the before and after photos so that you can congratulate yourself one day!

Comment

Hi Luke, loved the site, made me smile. A tip if it's not too late. Dont throw the beadstead, you can use this to put your onions on to dry them off/ripen them whe you dig them up Failing that it's a useful trellis or source of angle iron for raised bed supports.
                      ntg
                      Never be afraid to try something new.
                      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                      ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X