Sides on raised beds?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
    You've done really well and the soil seems to be nice fertile loam.

If you don't mind a bit of constructive criticism,
    Course I dont Snadger - that's why I posted the pics, to get some comments and advice. Thanks for the kind words (there's still a long way to go yet mind you!).

I'll make the rest of the paths a bit wider then, which will naturally make the beds narrower. The beginnings are already marked out from a previous owner, though they've been lost under the weeds and grass.

Do you think I can get away with the height? I didnt really want to add any manure at this late stage before sowing/planting.
    Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

How fabulous are those piccies, moggie! Well done you! I think Snadge has got a good point about bed width - you don't appear to have monkey arms from the piccies...

You could always put 'stepping stones' down the length of each of your wide beds - not enough for a wheel barrow, but just for access for you & your trug when you are picking sweetpeas and runner beans in your floaty dress and straw hat in the summer haze with the smell of the lavender and the gentle buzz of the bees whilst you sing 'la la la la la'........

Comment

Just to add about wider paths, you don't have to waste the space. I utilise the paths by placing the pot grown plants on them. They're easy to roll out of the way when I require access for weeding etc.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Good beds indeed. All of my beds, raised or not are 4 foot wide bar one which is 5 foot and just that wee bit too wide.

Your beds are, well, beds. the soil will settle back down. If you keep adding manure and compost the height will rise over time.

With regard to the path width, unless you build some sides to the beds, wheelbarrow access is not an issue and the width is ok. Why waste space on paths.

On my plots, the raised beds have 2' paths to allow wheelbarrow access, but the standard beds paths are between 12-18" wide. Just enough to walk on.
          Last edited by pigletwillie; 13-02-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
            How fabulous are those piccies, moggie! Well done you! I think Snadge has got a good point about bed width - you don't appear to have monkey arms from the piccies...

You could always put 'stepping stones' down the length of each of your wide beds - not enough for a wheel barrow, but just for access for you & your trug when you are picking sweetpeas and runner beans in your floaty dress and straw hat in the summer haze with the smell of the lavender and the gentle buzz of the bees whilst you sing 'la la la la la'........

What a great image do I have now Hazel ... thats cheered up a cold afternoon
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

My pleasure!

Oh - I also saw sweetpeas in Aldi at lunchtime for 29p a packet....

Comment

I do need sweetpeas to complete the picture dont I. I have the hat, now for the sunshine ....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X