New Plot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raised beds.

Raised or narrow beds are beds which are narow enough for you to reach to the middle easily from the side - generally between 4' and 5'. On a traditional 5 or 10 rod plot which is approx twice as long as it is wide the layout is normally on a cruciform patten with two principle paths crossing at right angles and bisecting the plot. Each resulting quarter being split onto narrow beds separated with even more narrow (18") paths. Crops are planted in blocks within each bed and because there is no need to walk on the beds, planting distances are much reduced. For example in a traditional layout lettuce are planted 12" apart with 18" or even 2' between rows - in raised beds they might be planted 8" apart each way.

The preparation of raised or narrow beds is fairly simple. Mark out the bed with a line and string, dig the bed area well - to two spade depths (two spits) if you are feeling up to it. You can raise the bed more by digging the first 6" of topsoil from the semi-permanent pathways and pileing it on top if you want, then top the construct with a generous helping of manure or compost. If you are edging the beds then get the edging in place and level the bed, if not then get the central 3' level and slope the final 6" on either side (called a batter). Having gone through all this preparation you will not need to dig the beds over again for several years - I'm digging my beds for the first time in four years this year.

Each bed is given a number in the rotation system and you may have several beds in each group. Raised beds are an intensive way of growing, and despite what one might think they are also a very old (Medieval) method of growing ones veg! Because they are intensive, raised beds need compost or manure every year - with the exception of the bed you want to grow carrots and parsnips in! And the quality and quantity of stuff you put on will determine how much you get out.

The short rows inherent in the design make succession sowing much easier, watering, while just as hard and long winded tends to be neater with less wasteage and weeding is easier as the soil is not compacted and without the wide spacings there is less light on the soil so less weed growth. Another side benefit is the tight spacing and therefore shading of the ground reduced water evapouration.

On the down side this system is less useful for growing spuds as there is no way to dig them up without walking on the bed - so the spud bed is always dug over in the winter.
    The weeks and the years are fine. It's the days I can't cope with!

Comment

To compare....

The semi-permanent pattern of raised beds lends a structure to a plot, and makes the task of weding, watering and gereral maintenance less daunting - the plot is broken into a number of smaller jobs, each easily achievable. A traditional plot, if left for a couple of weeks in the summer, can be a visually impossible task.

If you are planning to take children to your plot then raised beds are easily shown as no-go areas and the pattern of paths make for great running races and 'maze' games. A traditional plot is harder for a young child to be good on in my experience - they can't go anywhere except up and down the same path.

Raised beds are small areas easy to manure, because you only manure the beds there is less wasteage. On the traditional plot you manure a whole quarter and then walk over most of it!

When getting started a bed system means you do a small amount at a time - one bed. And as each bed is completed there is a sense of satisfaction. My view of the traditional method, while each row of diging was a success, there was no satisfaction until the whole plot was dug.

I'll just go and google your site - back soon!

Comment

I'd look at 33, 34 or 71 - do you know what time of day the photo was taken?

I'd go for one with no shade - better for your crops, unless you are taking the kids on a regular basis in which case you will need to have some shade for them.

Comment

Wow - what a fantastic answer! Thank you VERY much! I can't say what time the photo was taken, but the shadows suggest early afternoon?

So - raised beds is the way. I might get some timber (thinking fence gravel boards) to use so it looks neat. Do you think 6" will be high enough?

I'll ask for 33. My daughter can always wear a hat if it's sunny when she comes to help.

Comment

Good for you! If the photo was taken in the afternoon the plot is an east/west orientation, so running the beds side to side would be North/South which minimises the shading issue. 6" is fine for the edging, you will need wooden pegs (2"x1" lumber) to hammer in to keep the edges in place against the pressure of the earth - edgeing boards should be about 1" thick or they will bend.

I use railway sleepers here at home, expensive at £16 plus vat each, but they make built in seats. Probably not an option for you as getting them on site would be a nightmare!

If you are thinking of growing fruit bushes, rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus or globe artichokes they will need beds that are seperate from the main rotations as they occupy their ground for several years. Where on the plot is not important - just don't number them for rotation!

Any other questions - ask away!

Terry

Comment

I'm far from being an expert, but I'm in similar circumstances regarding time/work and I'm starting year three, so I'll add what I've found so far:

Keeping down maintenance is key as I've realistically only weekends, so I cover a decent area with black polythene (Wilko's gardening section) and then grow lots of pumpkins, courgette, squash - I overwinter these and store - great in winter stews!

To further cover areas I've begged and borrowed lots of old paving slabs (try freecycle) and developed semi-permanent pathways, this helps add structure and stops compacting the areas I have dug.

Spuds are good, I find they help our soil (we had a pan and a waterlogging problem) and also supress some weeds. Onions need little maintenance, and cut and come again lettuce is easy. I have bins where I grow carrots (easy peasy!) and runner beans are also easy.

I've devoted a decent area to raspberries this year (I've a daughter that loves soft fruit, so its a fair proportion of our summer grocery spend). I've paved an area, dug, will add the canes and then heavily mulch.

This gives me a smaller space to devote to produce that is more time consuming such as brassica's - and I find I can handle that.

In terms of rotovating, we did that at first, but having then had to hand-dig the resulting doc leaves, never again!!!! So we dig by hand as soon as we see weeds appear and although its harder at first it does get easier.
              'People don't learn and grow from doing everything right the first time... we only grow by making mistakes and learning from them. It's those who don't acknowledge their mistakes who are bound to repeat them and do no learn and grow. None of us are done making mistakes or overflowing with righteous wisdom. Humility is the key.'
              - Thomas Howard

Comment

OK - Just spoke to the allotment lady - the plots haven't been rotovated yet - and may not be for another 2 weeks or so, depending on the weather. But she has held plot 33 for me!

Is it worth waiting? They were last done in November.

Comment

Message for TPeers
                  I posted a question about slopes on my new plot and then searched the allotment thread. Found some fabulous advice your gave to esrikandan. It has been so useful to me .... just wanted to say thanks.
                  Susie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X