Newbie allotment and member

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Mugwump,
    I'm drooling at the thought of all that planting room - you can grow anything you want and still have space for some chickens!

Have you thought about creating a mini orchard? Now is a great time to buy bare-rooted trees and you could have mulberries and medlars and quinces and apricots and all sorts of glorious things you can't buy fresh in the shops.

I'd love to see a blog of your progress - but i wonder if you'll have time!!!

As you've got loads of space, what about planting lots of perennial veg like rhubarb and asparagus? And Marshalls are doing 10 artichoke slips for about £5 - they grow into big plants but they are worth the space and need hardly any maintenance - which is always a bonus. And they are great for wildlife.

Comment

I've just worked it out - 30 x 100 meters is 3/4 of an acre!

I think an orchard is a great idea (though I'm not sure it needs to be a mini one!). Maybe run a fence around it and keep free range chooks under the trees? Invest in a ride-on mower and you should be able to keep it under control!

What a wonderful opportunity.
      Last edited by Paul Wagland; 18-01-2008, 08:32 PM.
      Resistance is fertile

Comment

Thank you for your replies. I am moving in next month and have started planning my plot. I revisited the place last week and still find the prospect rather daunting although exciting. I have since found out that the previous owner was an old man who dealt with the garden on his own, and even though it hasn't been looked after since September, it still looks great. I must admit that I googled polytunnel the other day, and may put one on my birthday list!

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
          Mugwump as a name has been around for yonks Sarah. When I was an undergrad in Durham there was a shop called Mugwump. I have a feeling it's still there. And that was in nineteen-hundred-and-frozen-to-death!
          I always thought a Mugwump was an extinct Geordie bird! I'm sure there used to be a fossil of a Mugwump in the Hancock Museum (could have been around April 1st methinks!) along with that other Geordie bird the Waarkwint (You daren't leave nowt lying around here or else someone will waarkwint!)
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I got the name Mugwump from a biograpy of The Mamas and the Papas- 2 of the members used to be in a group called The Mugwumps. I just liked the name!
            The dictionary meaning is a person who acts independently or remains neutral, especially in politics, one who sits on the fence.
            Nice to know it's been a good talking point!

Hannah

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X