No announcement yet.

allotment rent

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi WormL, the equipment belongs to the site its been purchased through fund raising etc., so we just have to pay for the fuel. Shame the council wont help ours is a self managed site so we dont have too many problems getting things done, cause we do most of it ourselves. although we did get a load of old wheelie bins from LCC for nowt maybe you could get on to the council and ask for them to visit your site to look at the problems youve got?
    The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Bit of elementary school maths my allotment is 7.35 rods.

Our lotties are all in one area but are 2/3 owned by National Trust and 1/3 Town Council. I had my name down on the TC list for two years before I realised that there were seperate areas. When I went to see the chairman of Allotment Association he was delighted to get one of the uncultivated NT plots off his vacant books. I now need advice from the association but don't know who to talk to as he died just after I got the plot and I don't know who has taken over. The weather last year didn't help as it wasn't easy to find anyone there.

There is a standpipe for approx every 4 full plots, no shop and no free anything else.

My rent is £15 pa. As I'm on the TC committee that supervises the site, I know this is made up of land rental and water rates. We break even and there is usually a small profit of less than £5 (sometimes a minimal loss).

Re the Council's obligation to provide allotments, I asked about this at our last meeting as we have some land available to provide extra lotties. It is designated as Public Open Space but is currently derelict. The rule is that if there are no lotties at all and six or more parishioners ask for them than the parish is obliged to provide them, they are not, however, obliged to provide an allotment for everyone on the list.

As our population is about to increase substantially in the next two years and new builds are not usually provided with much garden, we feel that the pressure to provide more lotties is going to increase also.

The problem with our bit of land is that although we are responsible for it, it is owned by our local District Council. We can only change it to allotments with their permission as allotments are not regarded as POS. They want us to use it as a park of some sort. We already have enough parks that stretch our resources to the max.

Sorry for the long and boring post .
      "I prefer rogues to imbeciles as they sometimes take a rest" (Alexander Dumas)
      "It is neccessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live" (also Alexandre Dumas)
      Oxfordshire

Comment

£41, (340sq/m) this includes water from April 1st until Sept 30th
        Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I pay £50.00 for a 10x30 metre plot from Cheshire County Council. It has been the same charge since I took over in 1988. Reduit.

Comment

lainey lou - a rod = 16.5 feet - 'parently

my baby lottie is 119m squared and costs £5 from Jan to Sept this year, now I have to convert that into what I can understand
            aka
            Suzie

Comment

Allotment Fees

i pay £21 a year for a 10 rod allotment (10 yards by 30 yards) which I understand is the standard size. We have water on standpipes and an allotment society shed but no electricity.
              George the Pigman

Comment

Here in Chester, we pay £35 p.a. for 300 sq yds, but as I'm over 60, I only pay £18 p.a.
                I think it's far too cheap! The net result is that too many eager people rent a plot, suddenly realise that it involves hard work and leave the plots unattended all year. The direct debit continues to be paid and plots of rough pasture and brambles are listed as "Taken". Clearly at such a low price, the income to the council is derisory and very little investment can be made.

Comment

In our village (North Staffordshire) the rent for 2008 is £25.00.
                  My plot is on this site!

Comment

In our town it's £20 for a full plot and £10 for a half.
                    Lumpyjumper

http://lumpyjumpers.blogspot.com

updated blog - 15 Dec 2009

Comment

In solihull west midlands the rent I £25 half plot and £40 for full plot only water on site no increase for 2008

Comment

I pay £37 in Morecambe Lancashire

Beware Greeks bearing gifts, or have you already got a wooden horse?... hehe.

Comment

camborne allotment

My first plot which 4.75 rods and has a 30ft polytunnel and for water I pay 29.00 per year my second plot which is 7 rods and has a shed don't have to pay for water as I pay it on my other plot is 23.00 so about 52.00 per year for both. We have a shop which we pay fees for 1.80 . our sit has about 100 plots

marion

Comment

Here in rural West Berks, on a privately owned plot, I'm paying £5 for a standard plot. There hasn't been a price rise for years - rumour has it there is a clause in the legal agreement preventing them increasing the rent! No water (but a stream along side). The major downside is that we share the site with pigeons, rabbits, deer, rats and gos know what else!

Comment

Originally posted by paddy1506 View Post
                              Here in Chester, we pay £35 p.a. for 300 sq yds, but as I'm over 60, I only pay £18 p.a.
                              I think it's far too cheap! The net result is that too many eager people rent a plot, suddenly realise that it involves hard work and leave the plots unattended all year. The direct debit continues to be paid and plots of rough pasture and brambles are listed as "Taken". Clearly at such a low price, the income to the council is derisory and very little investment can be made.
                              It's a same that, especially when so many people are crying out for allotments.
                              Maybe the allotment committee should adopt a probationary period with untended plots being re-let to people on the waiting list if they aren't being used?
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I couldn't agree more re Snadger and Paddy's comments.
                                I gave away 1/3 of my plot bearing in mind I probably couldn't handle the full plot only to see it become a sea of weeds for the rest of the season under the tenure of someone who spent only one day on it. Fortunately last year they moved him on and I have a great neighbour to make up for it.
                                A probationary period sounds good and means those who don't do much soon get the heave ho.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X