Pics of my new allotment

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great Seahorse!

You will get through those brambles, I did! Once you have removed the top growth digging out the roots is not too bad, just try and get out all of it as it can re-grow.

I missed bits and it re grew but it is easy to pull them out when you see them growing next year.

Good luck and take a flask of tea, Mandy

Comment

Fantastic Claire!! Just keep plugging away a bit at a time, and keep posting photos of your achievements - I shall be following you in December I hope so will use your inspiration! Congratulations and the very best of luck with it. Sue
      Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Yes - I'm absolutely there re hedgehogs and any other wildlife I may be disturbing. There are also a fair number of feral (? I presume) cats and I wouldn't want to harm them or their kittens either. I didn't actually find it too hard to clear the brambles I tackled today with my manual loppers, so I may continue on with those and strim the scrub/grass when I can see what's what and what's where a bit more.

Because the brambles are so massively overgrown, the ground is relatively clear underneath them, so fingers crossed I'll be able to spot any wee chaps before they come to grief.

I've thought about a clearing party but there's a bl**dy minded little bit of me that wants to do it all herself. We'll see if it's still here in a week or two!!! Lol!

Claire
        I was feeling part of the scenery
        I walked right out of the machinery
        My heart going boom boom boom
        "Hey" he said "Grab your things
        I've come to take you home."

Comment

Well done Seahorse,

What does it feel like having first day at the lottie? Brill I bet.

Keep us posted, Mandy

Comment

Schmaltz alert but... at lunchtime I sat down in the sunshine under my newly revealed plum tree to eat my bread and cheese and I almost cried, I was so happy I'm not religious but I just felt... uplifted, somehow

Claire

Comment

Good for you Seahorse. Bramble clearing is just so satisfying - it is the bit of sorting the garden that I can actually take at a pace I can cope with. Digging is where I start to fall down! but I am sure you will be able to keep on top of that too. I am right with you on the uplifting feeling of changing some wildnerness into a useful space (a lot to be said for doing it manually without the hulabaloo of a strimmer too). Go girl!!
              Happy Gardening,
              Shirley

Comment

Talk is cheap ! WHERE ARE THE PICTURES
                ---) CARL (----
                ILFRACOMBE
                NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Couple of pics on my blog Carl - too tired to sort them all out now!

http://thankyouforthedays.blogspot.com/

Claire

Comment

hey Claire,

Looks like you have done loads, too hell with the mirror!

Go girl, Mandy

Comment

Smashing blog too Seahorse. I think many people have lost touch with the earth and their place on/in it. I'm not surprised you were so moved at your lunch break. You will feel more 'grounded' and 'at home' on the planet now. It's different from growing in your own garden (I've done both and still long for a bit of my own 'farmland'.)
                      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Your time will come, Flum!

BTW, there is a Sains just up the road from the Hill and I do feel well conspicuous dropping clods of soil off my boots as I walk in - and handing over the money at the checkout with 'allotment' hands.....

Mind you, one of my fellow plot holders has a part time job there, and we were chatting merrily the other day as he was putting the shopping through the checkout for Mr Shopper before me and discussing how things were going .....

'sweetcorn fab, this year, Haze'
                        *bleep* (puts plastic wrapped sweetcorn over scanner)
                        'oh yes - plot to pan in under an hour, you can't beat it, Brian'
                        'how are your carrots?'
                        *bleep* (plastic carrots from Netherlands go over scanner)
                        'sweet as you like - have you still got all those raspberries, Brian?'
                        'Oh yes - we've far too many, really - running out of ideas...'
                        *bleep* (punnet from Scotland goes though)
                        '...mind you, I was disappointed with the tomatoes'
                        *bleep* (pack of 6 spanish tommies tasting of nothing go through)
                        'There's always next year, Brian.....'

Hope Mr Sainsbury wasn't listening!

Comment

Seahorse
                          Very inspiring and I hope you enjoy your new allotment, taking pictures as you go does serve as great inspiration and a reminder when you start flagging.
                          That feeling of peace that comes over you - that calming, slowing, feeling right with the world sense that comes over you is something I never expected or even knew I would feel, it's priceless. The sun was out today, cold but I was all thermaled up so was warm as toast. A beautiful day, just weeding and cutting grass, but all was right with the world when I went home.
                          Sue
                          PS It never seems to happens when it's raining, I've found!

Comment

lovely pics , and what a find 3 plum trees ;
                            keep up the good work
                            ---) CARL (----
                            ILFRACOMBE
                            NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Great photos Claire! Well impressed at the amount - at this rate it'll soon be cleared and ready to grow. I'm sooooo pleased for you!!
                              Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X