No announcement yet.

GYO would like your Labour Saving Tips

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To try and stop my tomatoes drying out by evaporation if I couldn't get to the plot, I covered the raised bed they're in with a piece of builders plastic and planted the tomatoes in holes through it. It worked brilliantly, keeping the ground moist and the tomatoes developed well. They still got blight, though!
    Veni, Vidi, Velcro.
    I came, I saw, I stuck around.

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post

I think this is one that many Grapes will be able to shine at, so please do post your tips

Jennie
      Are you saying we're lazy Jennie

My biggest labours are weeding and digging. I don't have much of a problem with ground drying out!

For digging, I use a long-handled American spade, it's much easier to get into the ground as it has a slightly pointy end, and you get much better leverage. I also use it for taking turf off ground.

As for weeding, why not create a 'stale bed' in the spring - let all the weeds come up before you plant anything and then get a flame gun and torch them. Great fun! You don't need to actually send them up in flames, the idea is to rupture the outer cell walls and the plants will die off in the next few days. Alternatively, if you're not a pure organic gardener, a cheaper solution is to use a systemic weedkiller like Roundup. The key thing is to get them before they have a chance to set any more seed. One years seeding equalls seven years weeding, goes the old saying.

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Do small jobs whilst they are still small jobs. If left, I find small jobs turn into big ones!
        You are a child of the universe,
        no less than the trees and the stars;
        you have a right to be here.

Max Ehrmann, Desiderata

blog: http://allyheebiejeebie.blogspot.com/ and my (basic!) page: http://www.allythegardener.co.uk/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X