Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greenhouse over shed?

Hi all,
    I've recently taken on a full plot and I'm currently awaiting my key. I've been having a look around for some sheds & greenhouses, at the moment I'm gravitating towards the idea of just a storage chest for tools etc and a decent greenhouse for the time being. Is this a viable idea? I'd be taking flasks for drinks but there's tea/coffee making facilities in the communal hut incase I ever run dry, but am I missing something by not also having a shed? A greenhouse is something I feel I need at the plot as I'd like to grow chilli's and peppers as well as starting off seed. There's no room in my garden for one, no windowsills (what's that all about?) in my house and no surfaces close to sunlight that are safe from my batty cat. I'm new to all this though so if I'm missing something really obvious feel free to point this out to me

I'd go for a greenhouse personally, as you already have the communal one, which will be the best place to learn what will grow in your soil

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
      I'd go for a greenhouse personally, as you already have the communal one, which will be the best place to learn what will grow in your soil
      Thank you! It seemed like the obvious route to go but I just had that niggle! Hopefully one day I'll have both but for now a greenhouse is more of a priority.

Comment

I'd go for a greenhouse, but why not both? There are always free ( or very cheap) greenhouses around as long as you are prepared to dismantle and take away. Then spend money on a shed. I 've got 4 greenhouses and the dearest cost me £35 including contents (staging, pots and assorted bits).

Comment

A shed is handy if you are caught short and want privacy. In regards to tools I always found it better/ safer to wrap them in bags and scatter them around the plot (or take smaller tools home each time) as sheds are an easy target for theft or supposed borrowing. So I would definitely agree greenhouse first and I would err on the polycarb side rather than glass, but fingers crossed you have a lovely friendly site with no theft or vandalism.

Comment

Hi PaP12 and welcome.

I'm easily confused so when you asked "Greenhouse over shed" I thought you meant this (a family who've enclosed their house in a GH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ghnDOFbNQ.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	GHhouse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	2385895

If not, I agree with the others - GH takes precedence.

Comment

Could you maybe put a table next to the sunniest window in the house for a couple of months for the tender plants,it’s very cold overnight up until April/May. I don’t have a greenhouse,I use those plastic blowaways in my garden & I use my shed for drying onions on metal shelving,store them & my garlic in the shed. I prefer having a shed to a greenhouse write a list of pros & cons?

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                Hi PaP12 and welcome.

I'm easily confused so when you asked "Greenhouse over shed" I thought you meant this (a family who've enclosed their house in a GH https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ghnDOFbNQ.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]89561[/ATTACH]

If not, I agree with the others - GH takes precedence.
                I've seen that house before and just love the idea - so easy to garden outside, or sit out at night, in any weather

Comment

loads of cheap/free greenhouses on "face ache" marketplace, they appear often.
                  Don't pay over the odds, unless they dismantle and carry.
                  When dismantling, take loads of pictures of the joints/corners and label parts, all the parts look the same when dismantled, especially if is its left for a while before building.
                  Buy some new aluminium bolts as many break when undone, they become corroded over time.
                  Also, have a look for glass, (if you choose glass) this is also frequently free on second hand sites. I find glass is cheaper than plastic.
                  If you intend bringing your kids to the site, have a think about replacing the glass for plastic, its much safer
                  sigpic

Comment

The question you have to ask yourself is "Am I going to be able to go to the plot and water the greenhouse stuff every day, during the summer"?

If you can only go to the plot now and again I would go for a shed.
                    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

^this

Too much commitment if you are still working full time

Comment

Also, check that your site's rules allow for greenhouses.
                        On our allotments the rules state no GH or walk-in polytunnels.

Comment

^^^how bizarre. Do you know their reasoning why? I would be so tempted to cover a shed with polycarb just to be a pedantic cow

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
                            ^^^how bizarre. Do you know their reasoning why? I would be so tempted to cover a shed with polycarb just to be a pedantic cow
                            Oh I guess it is because the site is in the middle of a very residential area, surrounded and overlooked by terraced houses, so for optical reasons it shouldn't be too built up. And when they're left behind someone would need to deal with them.

Tbh, as we're in London, greenhouses aren't really that necessary, it's so mild. Cold frames are usually more than enough.

Comment

Originally posted by MelanieSW View Post
                              Oh I guess it is because the site is in the middle of a very residential area, surrounded and overlooked by terraced houses, so for optical reasons it shouldn't be too built up. And when they're left behind someone would need to deal with them.

Tbh, as we're in London, greenhouses aren't really that necessary, it's so mild. Cold frames are usually more than enough.
                              And to think the Thames used to freeze over thick enough to hold frost fairs
                              Last edited by MyWifesBrassicas; 28-12-2019, 07:15 PM. Reason: adding smiling face
                              sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X