Worms Escaping!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worms Escaping!

After rats got in to my compost bins last winter and left me with very little in them, I got a little pot of worms from a relative that I split between two bins. They've done pretty well over the summer and I've tried to ensure there's a good mix of greens and browns. Over the last month or so, every time I lift the lid on the bin, more and more of them are trying to escape (there was always one or two on the lid).

What am I doing wrong? Why don't they like their home?

Click image for larger version

Name:	72725550_405224747057311_692662247842906112_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	2407654

maybe they think the grass is greener on the other side . Seriously though, it's probably what worms do and how they spread and repopulate

Comment

I guess I always figured worms would just go down in the soil to get away but then I don't know much about them to be honest.

Comment

Older threads about Escapee worms!!

https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...dom_61797.html
        https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...hlight=wormery

Comment

Thanks VeggieChicken. I tried searching but obviously wasn't putting the right words in.

Comment

I remember a post with images of worms spilling out in every direction! Turned my stomach to be honest.
            Fortunately, I think that image has been "lost".

Comment

This happens with my compost bin all the time. I think it's overpopulation, as there never seems to be any shortage of them in the bin.
              Every time I empty it (it's a tumbler, so it has no contact with the soil) I just leave a couple shovels full of compost in the bottom. The worms in that are more than enough to repopulate the entire compost bin, and the cycle continues.

Comment

As an aside, re the previous rat problem, I have been assured if you use human wee as an accelerator in your compost, it has the added benefit of scaring rats away allegedly.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                  I remember a post with images of worms spilling out in every direction! Turned my stomach to be honest.
                  Fortunately, I think that image has been "lost".
                  Must post a photo of my wormery
                  KKK try covering your bin with a full sheet of cardboard rather than bits of cardboard as compost worms prefer it to be dark and don't really burrow down that deep
                  it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X